Hangs on Processing

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
redj

Hangs on Processing

Post by redj »

Version 9.0.0.12156 (64-bit)

I cannot get MainType to complete processing of my fonts library. It remains hanged at the same point every time the program is opened. Also, it is showing the wrong number of processed as I only have 468 fonts available in the entire Library. Obviously, this problem completely interferes with my ability to use MainType to manage my font library as less than 10% are currently available in the program.

MainTypeProblem.jpg
MainTypeProblem.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 9679 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: Hangs on Processing

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We need to look into this, so we'll contact you to see how we can locate and fix the problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
cpking

Post by cpking »

I have the same issue... I had a computer crash and the manufacturer wiped my system. When rebuilding it, i copied all of my fonts to the same folder (same directory structure) I had before. I reinstalled Maintype. I've refreshed my font folders and am stuck here "Processed 29065 out of 38787 resources...About 11 hours and 10 minutes remaining"

I've attempted this a few times since the reinstall...
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We've been able to reproduce the issue and are looking into it. We hope to find a solution soon.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This update should fix the problem:

https://www.high-logic.com/tmp/maintype ... 61-x64.exe

Please install it over your existing installation, and let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Can you please let us know if this update solved the issue?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Tonks4cat

Post by Tonks4cat »

I just purchased MainType 9 and am having the same problem with it hanging on processing. I downloaded the patch file you posted earlier and it hasn't fixed this issue; I also downloaded the most recent update file and it still hangs at processing. I also have a library of over 80,000 fonts and this program just isn't loading them - it's struggling hard on a 7th Gen Core i7 Windows 10 machine with 16 GB of RAM and a pretty good amount of HD space free. It's been trying to load the library for the past 15 minutes now.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

To further look into this, I ask you to force a crash within the font service, which will generate a stack trace of the current state of the software.

To let the font service crash, do add a new group with this specific name:

Crash2019

After you've done it, the group won't be added, and the font service needs to be restarted (through FmsConfig).

You will find the error report in this folder:
C:\ProgramData\High-Logic\Errors

Looking forward to the results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Tonks4cat

Post by Tonks4cat »

This is what I see presently (this is after a complete reinstall of the program). How do I create a font group when everything is hung? And there's no crash log. It's been processing like this since I restarted the program ten minutes ago and it won't even list the font folders nor anything that's installed - everything's just "Loading".
MainType.jpg
MainType.jpg (370.44 KiB) Viewed 6591 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Close the Font Folders dialog and then add a group in the Groups panel.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Tonks4cat

Post by Tonks4cat »

I uninstalled again and this time let it delete all prior font data. Reinstalled. Right now it's taking hours to get through the processing (indeed, is repeatedly hanging with short bursts of progress but is still showing over 2 hours to completion).

I have also repeatedly tried to add a new group using the Group dialog. I click on Add, title it the name you suggested (Crash2019) and OK my way out of the dialog. Should I see a new entry in the Groups box? Nothing happens. No new groups show up in the dialog, the program just continues to plod on endlessly processing. At this rate, I will probably leave the program running overnight to see what happens. I've tried adding New Root Group also. No response; the program just grinds on.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

If it is still showing progress, then it is still working.

It might be slow as it is both indexing your fonts, and also trying to update the user interface, showing the newly found fonts. Usually it goes faster if you select a group that contains only a couple of fonts. If you have selected the Library, it will take way more time. Initially Top Rated Fonts is a good one, as it contains no fonts at all.

Be patient, and let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Tonks4cat

Post by Tonks4cat »

I had to shut off the system last night because of unsettled weather - we were having storms and I turned off the laptop and unplugged it. I have resumed trying to get Main Type to catalog my library this morning. One thing I've noticed - if I stop the processing and turn off the program, I cannot restart it without rebooting my computer (it says "Failed loading Main Type" or words to that effect). Is this normal and is there any way to be able to turn the program on and off during the course of a normal day without having to reboot?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Tonks4cat wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:07 pm One thing I've noticed - if I stop the processing and turn off the program, I cannot restart it without rebooting my computer (it says "Failed loading Main Type" or words to that effect).
I don't understand this. How did you "stop the processing"?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Tonks4cat

Post by Tonks4cat »

I click the little X on the top right of the box that says "Processing". The box goes away. I don't know if it actually STOPS the processing or not, but at least the box goes away. Though I've just noticed it doesn't matter if I close that box first or not - if I shut down the program, I cannot relaunch it without rebooting my computer.