How to delete glitchy fonts without viewing them?

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Mangzeb

How to delete glitchy fonts without viewing them?

Post by Mangzeb »

Hello, I'm a new user so I hope this is the right place!

I recently downloaded a font known as "Surfing Capital" (not that it's all that relevant). Long story short: MainType crashes every time the godforsaken font even shows up on the main fonts list. Well, you kind of need to view it in order to uninstall/delete it from MainType, and thus my conundrum.

I tried uninstalling it from my computer, I tried disabling all previews, but it's not enough and the program still crashes.

Is there a place where MainType backs up fonts that I can get into to delete it manually?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: How to delete glitchy fonts without viewing them?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Have you tried uninstalling the font from the Windows Font folder?

Window Key +R then typing "fonts" Enter will get you there quickly.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

What version of MainType do you use?

Can you share the font with us, so we can look into the issue?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

As the download page on Dafonts.com warns, it is a heavy font. Looking at the W glyph in FontCreator, it has over 3,000 contours and nearly 20,000 points, so it does not surprise me that MainType has trouble previewing it.

Such fonts are a waste of time in my opinion. It is like building a car out of lego. No matter how cool it might look, it will slow down any application to a crawl if you try to use it.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Mangzeb

Post by Mangzeb »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:47 pm As the download page on Dafonts.com warns, it is a heavy font. Looking at the W glyph in FontCreator, it has over 3,000 contours and nearly 20,000 points, so it does not surprise me that MainType has trouble previewing it.

Such fonts are a waste of time in my opinion. It is like building a car out of lego. No matter how cool it might look, it will slow down any application to a crawl if you try to use it.
Well it's a bit late to be hearing that now. Needless to say, I've learned my lesson.
Also I have tried uninstalling it from the font folder, but it just makes the font appear offline on MainType. I need to delete it within the program in order to get rid of it for good.
Erwin Denissen wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:41 pm What version of MainType do you use?

Can you share the font with us, so we can look into the issue?
I'm currently using version 9.0.0.1207 (64 bit).
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It is most likely Windows internal rasterizer crashes due to the complexity of the font, and that brings down MainType.

We have downloaded the font and even though it takes some time, MainType does show the font. If we restart MainType and then toggle Font Preview, it runs lightning fast again. We are running MainType on Windows 10.

Since you already tried to disable Font Preview within MainType, we don't know how to solve this problem, except for a full uninstall and reinstall of MainType.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Mangzeb

Post by Mangzeb »

Perhaps I disabled a different preview option. Do you mind letting me know how to do this?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The font preview icon is this one at the top of the View panel.
Font Preview.png
Font Preview.png (2.49 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
As Erwin said, you may need to uninstall and reinstall if you cannot open MainType (to disable this button).
Mangzeb

Post by Mangzeb »

Oh yeah, so it was what I did.

I can still open MainType just fine, it just crashes whenever I scroll down to look at the font. I'll still try to uninstall/reinstall though. If that doesn't work then I'll leave my computer to chug on for a couple hours or so and hope for the best.

Thank you everyone!