Intelligent Quotes

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Jonne Haven

Intelligent Quotes

Post by Jonne Haven »

Hey FontCreator Team family,

I have a question to do with quotes...particularly using alternates contextually. Right now when I type a number surrounded by single quotes I have used CALT features to angle the beginning and ending quotes according to their position around the number. Like So:
Capture 5000.JPG
Capture 5000.JPG (13.7 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
I'd like to be able to change that first quote into the last quote when it proceeds a number that is comprised of two digits only...in other words for abbreviated years like:
Capture 98.JPG
Capture 98.JPG (10.39 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
Am I making it clear? I don't know, but I'm ultimately wondering if FontCreator can differentiate between a two digit number and any other number and change the quote type accordingly.

Thanks for your time!

Blessings,
Jonne
MikeW

Re: Intelligent Quotes

Post by MikeW »

I think this type of substitution should be handled at the user and/or application level. I.e., not by using OT features.

However, calt might work. But I have a feeling the combination of calt being on by default + many/most applications having smart quotes enabled by default would prevent consistent working, or work at all.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Intelligent Quotes

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I agree with Mike, you should not try to actually change the character. Substitutions should only be used to change the shape of characters.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology