Backup and Restore

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
fontbob

Backup and Restore

Post by fontbob »

I use MainType to backup font (used) library because I remove many, many duplicate (looking) fonts to minimize the quantity of font W10 is keeping. (Simply makes for shorter font lists within program needing many font style change selections.)

When backing up the fonts on an existing W10PRO machine, sometimes Windows will update and re-install some unwanted fonts.
Usually, simply restoring from backup works, re-installing my minimized font list.

This morning MainType version was upgraded. After the upgrade unwanted fonts had returned (perhaps over the weekend on a W10 upgrade???) and the backup from my most current restore image did not replace with my minimal font list. Rather, I had to manually remove the unwanted fonts, again.

Main Type support personal are telling me that when changing OS version (for example W7 to W10) this is a normal behavior. Protecting any "New" fonts from being over written during restore. In my humble opinion, that is fine when upgrading from W7 to W10.

Not so good when I want to restore my minimimal font list on an existing W10PRO machine that has only upgraded associated software within the W10 operating system.

Is this a feature that could be adjusted or enhanced in the future?
Erwin Denissen

Re: Backup and Restore

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Since we do not know what fonts will be included with future versions of Windows, we find it tricky to allow a backup to override all installed fonts.

When you make a new backup, do tag all installed fonts, so after a restore you know which ones you need to uninstall and reinstall to go back to the original situation.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology