Sans Mateo

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Sans Mateo

Post by PJMiller »

This sans serif font originally started out as a stripped down version of Bainsley but simplified and completely redrawn. I just needed a testbed font to try out some new ideas with open type. But after a while I realised that it looked a lot like a bland sans serif just like the thousands of bland sans serif fonts which are available all over the web. So I decided to try to make it a little different and added a few curves to the ends of the stems and limbs.

The font has more than 16 thousand Kerning Pairs and supports fractions, superscript and subscript. As you might have guessed from the fact that this was built as a testbed font for new ideas with open type it has a lot of open type features. Stylistic set 01 turns the single storey 'g' into a two storey 'g', Stylistic Set 02 is only available in Dutch and cancels the localisation of IJ ligatures, if anyone wants to do this.

The default is tabular numbers but this can be swapped for proportional numbers using the 'pnum' function.

The name refers to San Mateo in Rizal, a beautiful little town which is now being spoiled by housing developments and big shopping malls.

If anyone wants to look at the source I have attached it here.
Attachments
Sans_Mateo_Bold.fcp
(282.82 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
Sans_Mateo_Bold_Italic.fcp
(221.26 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Sans_Mateo_Italic.fcp
(222.56 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
Sans_Mateo_Roman.fcp
(278.83 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Sans Mateo

Post by PJMiller »

Version 2 of Sans Mateo is a variable font, a few mistakes have been sorted out and inconsistencies harmonised. The .ZIP file contains the two variable fonts (one for upright and one for italic) plus the four non variable fixed fonts and a WOFF folder with the variable webfonts.

If anyone wants the project files I will post them here but be warned they need version 14 of Font Creator to be able to open them.

File deleted
Last edited by PJMiller on Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Amazing to see how fast you were able to make it variable. Congrats!

A few minor interpolation issues, due to incorrect order of contours:

whitesquare
whitesquarewithroundedcorners
Sans Mateo VF.png
Sans Mateo VF.png (355.08 KiB) Viewed 6420 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Good job I didn't release it yet ! :)
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

An update, I added a couple of instances and corrected some issues which were pointed out in the previous post. Time to move on to new endeavours I think.

Sans Mateo.zip
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 474 times