How do I move a font to a different computer?

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
bdabagia

How do I move a font to a different computer?

Post by bdabagia »

I used your software to create a font in my own handwriting on my home computer, but I want to add it to my computer at work. They're not connected, so how do I do it? My computer, with Windows XP, won't let me copy a font by itself. What should I do?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Just open the font in Font Creator, and use Save As from the file menu, to save it on a floppy disk or USB drive, or save it in My Documents and send it to yourself as an email attachment.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
bdabagia

Post by bdabagia »

Great! Thank you, but do I need to do anything special to install it? Or can I just open the attachment and copy it to my font file?
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Install Font

Post by Dave Crosby »

The old way is to Open your Control panel, Select the Fonts Folder, File, Install New Font. This allows you to browse through your computer files (How the h*## does this thing work?) until you finally find where you stashed that dad blasted font, then Select it and click OK.

The New Way is to use MainType to find your font, and just press the Load button for temporary usage
or Install
for more permanent usage.
Aut nunc aut nunquam