Please use windows registry for saving settings.

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
StevenSh

Please use windows registry for saving settings.

Post by StevenSh »

Hello.

Guys can you store all program settings in the windows registry like before? Like this much easier way to restore your own settings with *.reg file, than after installation restore everything manually. Using layout.xml not realy good idea.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Please use windows registry for saving settings.

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Personally, I don't think users should ever be expected to edit the registry. For expert users, saving a *.reg file is simple, but it is not user-friendly.

I am used to Serif Applications, where a whole bunch of settings and customisations are saved in %AppData%. The best innovation they had was to save layouts, toolbars, and menus in a Workspace Profiles. Users can have multiple workspaces, which they can switch between for different projects, or for working on different monitors. I have a dual monitor setup: 1200x1600 portrait as my Primary and 1920x1080 Landscape as my secondary.

I can emulate that by archiving layout.xml and saving different versions, plus I have a backup.

Unfortunately, toolbar arrangements can only be saved by using regedit. It would be better if they were included in layout.xml.

FontCreator also stores a lot of other customisable data in other %AppData% folders: Transforms, Complete Composites Data, Glyphnames data, and WOFF test style sheets.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Re: Please use windows registry for saving settings.

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The new docking system is not compatible with the previous floating panels. So when you come from a previous release of FontCreator, your previous layout is not migrated.

We intend to add a way to manage your layouts in a future update. It is likely those layouts are stored in the registry, but if we provide an export to file, you could import layouts on other systems.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology