export groups - JUST the group, not the fonts

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
cpking

export groups - JUST the group, not the fonts

Post by cpking »

It would be incredibly helpful if there was a way to export a font group. Not the actual font files themselves, but a simple list of pointers to fonts in a library. This would be useful for workgroups who need to all use exactly the same fonts on projects, as well as creating/sharing a font group with yourself when you work on multiple computers.

My personal scenario is such that I work at home on one computer and another computer at my office. I use Dropbox to share files, and if there was a an installable group (i.e., myfont.grp) which could be loaded in MainType, each project could have such a file without duplicating fonts across multiple computers, folders and locations.
cpking

export group font list, not actual font files

Post by cpking »

I asked about this a couple of years ago. With the various updates that have been made to MainType, is it possible to export a font group where you export just the list of fonts to import into another installation. I don't want to export actual font files, thus creating duplicates. I just want to be able to import the list of fonts in a particular font group.
Erwin Denissen

Re: export groups - JUST the group, not the fonts

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You can add a drop box folder as font folder and keep it in sync. That way you can share the same fonts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
cpking

Post by cpking »

That's kind of what I do now. But that will requires duplication of font files. For example, I have my fonts organized by name in alphabetical folders (A,B,C, etc.). But if I'm using Arial, Garamond, Onyx and Woodcut Ornaments, I either have to sync the A, G, O and W folders, or create a new folder with just the fonts being used.

In a workgroup environment where you have teams of designers and publishers working on the same project, it would be assumed everyone has access to the same font library, so a list (i.e., fontlist.grp) would be helpful. in sharing project fonts.
cpking

Post by cpking »

I have purchased the upgrade to MT12. Still hoping for some reasonable font group export. This is incredibly important for workgroups who share projects and need to quickly (and easily) see and install and/or add to a group of fonts.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You can also select all fonts in a group, and then export them to your network drive. Then other members can add the folder to their font library. It is the only way you can guarantee the fonts are exactly the same version.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
cpking

Post by cpking »

That's what we do now, which is my point. The font files are stored in a central server. When working on particular project that requires particular fonts, it would be helpful to be able to share a group (list) of fonts used on the project so that users could simply install that group, and then uninstall that group at will. Just like groups work at the local level.