Comparing fonts

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Comparing fonts

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We have it on the to-do list, but it has low priority as we are still not clear how to implement to please as many users.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
WolffType

Post by WolffType »

nabsltd wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:45 pm Some other font managers have a mode where the preview text is basically the only thing displayed in the list of fonts, and you can then have multiple columns displayed:
FontDisplayExample.jpg

If you did that to the preview window, you could have something like the following (with just one column):
MainTypeCompareMockUp.jpg

An option for the preview window to show just the last selected font (like now), or multiple fonts (like the mock-up) would allow users their choice in what to do. Configuring multiple columns would be something for later, if there is demand.
This one looks VERY NICE!! :) I strongly second this.
What is the reason for not having integrated such a thing meanwhile?

Best, Wolfgang
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

WolffType wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:49 am What is the reason for not having integrated such a thing meanwhile?
Erwin gave the reason in the post before yours.

You can select several fonts and print a Font Listing. Use a PDF printer to save paper.
Font Listing.png
Font Listing.png (143.6 KiB) Viewed 5871 times
Attachments
Font Comparison.pdf
(490.3 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
WolffType

Post by WolffType »

OK. Not enough users did request this feature... Sad but true.

The "printing option" was mentioned here before as well. And as "hlff" mentioned I also think there should be an inline solution for this. This would improve the workability of the software tremendously. Being able to compare fonts directly - in realtime - is much, much better than tagging or creating sheets I have to send to a virtual printer.

@Fellow users of this fine piece of software: how do you compare your MT-fonts? Are you satisfied with the possibilities you have? Speak out loud! :wink:

Best, Wolfgang
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

WolffType wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:18 amThis would improve the workability of the software tremendously. Being able to compare fonts directly - in realtime - is much, much better than tagging or creating sheets I have to send to a virtual printer.
You can also use Print Preview to avoid the Print to PDF step. A PDF has the added benefit of keeping a record of the selected fonts. You can easily change the text string, and select different fonts, then overwrite the PDF to update it.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486