Annoying advertising: Please make it go away.

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
felixkasza

Annoying advertising: Please make it go away.

Post by felixkasza »

Note: A similar issue apparently was fixed some years back, see viewtopic.php?f=45&t=7090.

As a paid-up user of Maintype 11, I do not appreciate the software bothering me with advertisements. I am happy to report that I don't need a font editor right now, but at my current level of annoyance I would rather buy FontLab and pay the extra scot than promote such rudeness by buying FontCreator.

Here is a screen shot of the offending pop-up, which oh-by-the-way obscures a bunch of stuff that is important to see and click:
Screen shot of unwanted advertising
Screen shot of unwanted advertising
have_you_no_shame.png (19.64 KiB) Viewed 5836 times
As an aside, I cannot recall this pop-up occurring in the first few days or weeks, when I was busy arranging my fonts. This behaviour is something new, at least to me.

Thanks for looking into this,
Felix.
Attachments
Proof of registration status
Proof of registration status
about_showing_registration_status.png (39.96 KiB) Viewed 5836 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Annoying advertising: Please make it go away.

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The linked thread fixed a bug in MainType 8 that showed the advertisement when FontCreator is already installed.

I do not recall seeing it (I have FontCreator installed), so it is probably not a bug in MainType.

I therefore moved your thread to the Feature Requests forum.

Does it appear again if you close it? How often does it appear?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
felixkasza

Post by felixkasza »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:19 pm The linked thread fixed a bug in MainType 8 that showed the advertisement when FontCreator is already installed.
Yes. I mentioned the thread to (a) show that I looked around for similar cases and to (b) clearly identify which annoying advertising I am complaining about. On the whole, I consider it a bug if paying customers are treated like freeloaders. Interrupting my work is really not the thing, which is why I didn't originally post this in “feature requests”: I do not think that being allowed to work with a product I paid for is something I should have to beg for.
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:19 pm Does it appear again if you close it? How often does it appear?
It does appear again. This evening I already clicked it away four times, I think.

Your question makes me think that you are not seeing the advertisements. Is that so?

Thanks,
Felix.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:19 pmI do not recall seeing it (I have FontCreator installed).
I do not open MainType every day, or use it extensively. All of my fonts are now well organised, and I have not created any new fonts for some time. I only update my existing fonts when I find a bug, or if I want to improve the kerning. I regard a bug as some behaviour that was not intended by the developer.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
felixkasza

Post by felixkasza »

Perhaps I should have given Maintype more credit: It has not shown me ads for the past two hours, maybe three! Perhaps the program senses my annoyance level and stops before I burst :D :D
cpking

Post by cpking »

This is one of the things about Maintype I completely hate.