Grouping

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
Gareth Griffiths

Grouping

Post by Gareth Griffiths »

It would be good to have a function which groups a number of elements together so that they can be moved about without being lost in other elements

Gareth
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This is definitely a nice feature; however the groups can't be saved in the native TrueType font file. So the groups are lost after closing the Font Creator Program unless the groups are saved somewhere as well. A new file format would be an option.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think it would be sufficient to group objects temporarily for the purposes of alignment, copying to other glyphs, etc.

One can already use composites for grouping contours permanently so I don't think a new file format is needed.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
lutz

Post by lutz »

I guess a new FontCreator file format could have several other, similar advantages.
SBonfiglio

Grouping Elements in a Glyph

Post by SBonfiglio »

Hello to the Community.

I have a functionality to propose, that is IMHO quite important, and now it lacks so much for me.
I have purchased a FontCreator license since a few time, but I was able to create the font I need to use in my software (I'm a Delphi developer).
The font work pretty well, and notwithstanding I'm not a pro, the work with FC was like a piece of cake.
I'm used to work with Corel Draw since ... let me think about that ... 25 years?
So I can say I have quite a bit of experience with drawing tools (I've grey hair he he he).
Well, I had to understand some basics, but after a little, I was able to create my font in the exact way I have conceived.
Mostly with the GREAT AI format import!
But a problem remains.
In FontCreator the lack of grouping function IS a serious problem.
I can't select two or 3 curves, group them together and move them around or work on them only, but together.
Well, I can, but I have to remember each time to CTRL-SELECT all the curves and do with them what I have to do.
It is not important that there is no grouping in the font format, but there is the "project" file format, which could contain all the grouping statements required. Humbly I suggest to put all the grouping primitives in a separate file, so that the file remains readable for the older versions of the software.
The font file (final) is just a stage of the font creation, while a grouping/ungrouping function could easy remain in the "project" files.
Also just consider when there are close curves to each other, working on many of them is a problem.
For instance, those cavities, which are created by two overlapping curves, could remain in time without any problem if a group function could be used.
I hope I can give a good idea for a further improvements of an already great software.
Salutes.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Grouping

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Are you familiar with using composites?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
SBonfiglio

Post by SBonfiglio »

No. I'm not!
Unfortunately I've not much time to dedicate to study the inner functions of a software.
Do you think these composites will solve the problem ?
I'm going to check it out right now.
Thanks.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It may take longer to design your font, but should save time in the long run. I use composites as much as possible, even for symbols like ± or = by composing them from the minus sign and plus sign.

Typically, they are used for accented characters like ã õ ũ ñ. Adjust the size, shape, or position of the combining ~ tilde accent will then apply the same change to all composite glyphs that use it.

Editing the a will apply the changes to à, á, ä, ã, â, ă and å, etc.