Help with Creating Glyphs, Italics, Bold, etc.

Get help with Scanahand here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
missuskisses

Help with Creating Glyphs, Italics, Bold, etc.

Post by missuskisses »

Hi there--

Sorry, but I cannot figure out how to create a template to allow for bold, italics, bold italics, etc.

Also, I'd like there to be many glyphs for the regular alphabet. For example, I'd like a large number of options for each letter. How can I go about adding those? If I add the same letter to the template it only recognizes the first instance.

In addition, I'd also like to set up "smart quotes." How would I go about doing that?

Thank you!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Help with Creating Glyphs, Italics, Bold, etc.

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. You need to fill in different templates with bolder glyphs for the bold type style. The Style of the Current Font is set up from the font classification dropdown. Windows requires separate TTF files for each type style: My Font Regular.ttf, My Font Bold.ttf, My Font Italics.ttf, etc.
  2. You can add alternates for a,b,c etc., but they need separate code-points in the Private Use Area, or OpenType features to make use of them. You will need FontCreator to do this. Inserting alternative glyphs for a, b, c, etc., using a character map in a word-processor is impractical for most users.
  3. Smart Quotes ‘ ’ “ ” each have unique code-points in the General Punctuation character set: 2018, 2019, 201C, 201D (hexadecimal). Your template needs grid squares for each of them. Your word-processor will substitute the appropriate glyph according to the context when a user types ' or " straight quotes.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
missuskisses

Post by missuskisses »

Thank you for your answer!

(1) Is TTF the only available output? Not OTF unless I have FontCreator?

(2) So I need FontCreator to be able to do this?

(3) Thanks!
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. The file extension is unimportant.
  2. Or another font editor or utility that can add OpenType features to your TrueType fonts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
missuskisses

Post by missuskisses »

Thanks!