Underlining

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!
Pyanepsion

Underlining

Post by Pyanepsion »

Hello to all,
I’m wondering about underlining.
In most software, it is presented as a style on the same level as Regular, Bold, Italic, and Bold Italic.
underline.png
underline.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
However, each of these styles corresponds to a font except for the underline. The latter is defined by the thickness and position parameters indicated in the font.
additional-metrics.png
additional-metrics.png (7.34 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
So I wonder if the underline is not just a calculated style, a simple border added under the character by the software. In other words, each software could display different underlines?
What about it? Thank you for your explanations.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Underlining

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Change the values and check in the Font Test window. Most software will use these values.
Underlining.png
Underlining.png (26 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Pyanepsion

Post by Pyanepsion »

Hello, Bhikkhu Pesala.
(Your fonts are very interesting. Are they allowed to be used for free in a commercial publication? You also mention PagePlus: note that it is now replaced by the Affinity Suite.)
To return to the question of this discussion, you state that ‘Most software will use these values’. Does this mean that you are implying that all the values that relate to Additional Metrics (Superscript, Subscript, Strikeout, Underline) can be used to calculate a recommended style, as opposed to Regular, Italic, Bold, Bold Italic, which each correspond to a font?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Yes, you can use my fonts in your publications as you wish. FAQ

A set of fonts usually has regular, bold, italic, and bold italic. There is no separate style for underlining or strikeout. Software applies underlining and strikeout using the font metrics.

PagePlus will apply formatting for Superscripts and Subscripts using the font metrics, unless you enable OpenType features, in which case it will use OpenType superscripts and subscripts defined as separate Unicode glyphs in the fonts, rather than just scaling and repositioning the base glyphs.

Affinity Publisher is not even close yet to being a replacement for PagePlus. It still lacks basic features like footnotes, endnotes, and indexing as far as I know. It also lacks tables with spreadsheet functions and charts. Graphics features found in PagePlus require additional Affinity software, i.e. Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. I have two decades of work that I won't be transferring to other software in the foreseeable future.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Pyanepsion

Post by Pyanepsion »

Bonjour, Bhikkhu Pesala.
I have two decades of work that I won’t be transferring to other software in the foreseeable future.
I understand what you mean.
Serif proposes to work around this by exporting from PagePlus as a PDF, then importing the PDF into Affinity.