The direction of writing is reversed, in the ligatures of literature

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
shuki

The direction of writing is reversed, in the ligatures of literature

Post by shuki »

1. The writing directions are reversed when I pull out ligatures in InDesign, I will note that they are without Unicode.

2. Another problem in the latest version, the ligature option does not work
Attachments
Screenshot_59.png
Screenshot_59.png (51.59 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: The direction of writing is reversed, in the ligatures of literature

Post by Erwin Denissen »

shuki wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:45 pm 1. The writing directions are reversed when I pull out ligatures in InDesign, I will note that they are without Unicode.
I have contacted Adobe about a year ago and reported several issues with them, but this one seems new to me.
shuki wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:45 pm 2. Another problem in the latest version, the ligature option does not work
Maybe their CoolType library chokes on the OpenType layout features, as it is known to make false assumptions and eventually crashes. Again I have reported issues with them over the last 11 months, and it seems they have solved most, so if you can make a small test font that fails, I can forward it to them.

For now you could try to disable the Optimize option:
OptimizeStorage.png
OptimizeStorage.png (43.45 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
shuki

Post by shuki »

Maybe I have a Hebrew writing direction for literature. Where is the side / direction of writing indicated
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

shuki wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:10 pm Maybe I have a Hebrew writing direction for literature. Where is the side / direction of writing indicated
The RTL flag should actually only be used for Cursive, not to suggest a direction, even though FontCreator uses it for that purpose itself ;-)

It is likely the text prior to the unassigned glyphs is RTL and then the shaping engine assumes you want to continue that way. Do test in Word and in a Web browser to see if those have the same result.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology