Creating a Font Family

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Rich

Creating a Font Family

Post by Rich »

Hi, I am fairly new to this, I have made several fonts on this software over the last year or so. No issue. I have made a new font today but I also want to make a bold version. I have my bold characters drawn up in a third party software ready to import(this is how I do it).

I cant figure out what I do from this point, do I open a new file and go through the same process as making a new font? or is there a way to add the bold version within the regular font I have already made?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Creating a Font Family

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I suggest to make a variable font with a weight axis. That way you can easily maintain the same characters and OpenType layout features. You can even decide to let FontCreator generate weights between your regular and bold font, after you have ensured the glyphs are compatible.

There are several ways to accomplish this, but probably fastest is to first make a new font, based on your regular font, and then merge it into your regular font as explained in this tutorial:
How to Make a Variable Font
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Rich

Post by Rich »

Hi Erwin,

Thanks for such a quick reply, I am afraid my font properties panel doesn't look like yours and doesn't have axis as an option.
Last edited by Rich on Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

Post by Rich »

properties.JPG
properties.JPG (105.2 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Support for variable fonts is introduced with FontCreator version 14. If you want to move forward you need to buy an upgrade through this page:
https://www.high-logic.com/buy-now/upgrades
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology