Double and single quotes revert to Times New Roman

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
mkalitowski

Double and single quotes revert to Times New Roman

Post by mkalitowski »

I created a new font from the characters of a 1925 Remington Portable typewriter. I have encountered a buggy behavior when using within MS Office apps. It reverts to Times New Roman for the double and single quote characters. In non-Microsoft applications, this does not happen. I tried to copy/paste from the Windows Character Map tool, but it doesn't fix anything. Anyone else with this problem? Solution? Thanks.
Attachments
Shows incorrect quote characters in text string
Shows incorrect quote characters in text string
Font Issue.jpg (64.02 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Double and single quotes revert to Times New Roman

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Does your font contain the required double and single quote glyphs in the General Punctuation character set?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

mkalitowski wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:42 pm I created a new font from the characters of a 1925 Remington Portable typewriter. I have encountered a buggy behavior when using within MS Office apps. It reverts to Times New Roman for the double and single quote characters. In non-Microsoft applications, this does not happen.
Microsoft Word comes with an option (smart quotes, which is on by default) to automatically replace straight quotes ( " and ' ) with left and right quotes ( “ ” and ‘ ’ ). I believe Photoshop also has such feature, and probably others have it too.

It is best to add those quotation marks to your font. In FontCreator select Insert from the main menu, and then click Insert Glyphs. From there on the first tab (By Name), enter:

quoteleft
quoteright
quotedblleft
quotedblright

This will add the missing glyphs along with their character code-points. All that is left, is to provide proper outlines. ;-)
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
mkalitowski

Post by mkalitowski »

Thanks for that. But, I don't understand how that gets mapped to the keyboard so that I can type it directly in an MS Office app.
mkalitowski

Post by mkalitowski »

And, yes, both the single and double quote characters are there. As I said, they type correctly in non-MS Office apps.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

mkalitowski wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:35 pm Thanks for that. But, I don't understand how that gets mapped to the keyboard so that I can type it directly in an MS Office app.
They do not need to be mapped to the keyboard. MS Word and other applications use Autocorrect to swap the double straight quote " to “open double quote before a quotation and to close double quote” after it; and the single straight quote (apostrophe) to ‘open single quote before a quotation and to close single quote’ after it.

If Autocorrect is disabled, no change is made; you just get what you type.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486