Help with opening the contours for a single line font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
shtoopr

Help with opening the contours for a single line font

Post by shtoopr »

Hello,
I've been hard at work making a single-line font with this program (see Ex1 in attachments) . But every time I export as .Otf for use as an .SVG font for the Hersheytext extension in inkscape, the contours remain closed leading to the glyphs looking like Ex 2 (see attachments).
To my knowledge, it seems that in order for the font to be able to import as a .Ttf or .Otf, the contours need to be closed.

Something I tried was examining the SVG paths for each glyph and removing the "z" at the end. Usually that "z" indicates that the glyph should complete at the starting position. This is what we thought was closing the contours. However, after removing the 'z' and the contours still being closed, we noted that the move command within the path is being left out - the pen isn't being picked up when moving between certain points while drawing.

My export settings are Ex3
Is there any fix for this?
Thank you :)
Attachments
ex3.png
ex3.png (20.05 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
ex2.png
ex2.png (6.28 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
ex1.png
ex1.png (10.67 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: Help with opening the contours for a single line font

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Do you have other fonts that work as expected? If so, do examine those. If not, then most likely it is something that is not going to work the way you wish.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
shtoopr

Post by shtoopr »

Erwin,
I don't think I understand your question. I haven't made another single line font that works, however, I have a few single line fonts (from other sources) that have open contours. The kind of single line font that doesn't connect the start point to the end point.
In regards to your parting statement, it seems as though you believe it's the usage of my font that is incorrect. (Fair enough)
However, I haven't found any program which recognizes the exported font the way it looked before exporting.
This INCLUDES FontMaker. After exporting the font and opening it with font maker, all glyphs have had their contours closed.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It would probably be best if other font designers who make single line fonts, jump in.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
shtoopr

Post by shtoopr »

While that happens...
Regardless Erwin,
I very much appreciate whenever you help me out.