Height of font changes with Subscript & Superscript

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Fonts

Re: Height of font changes with Subscript & Superscript

Post by Fonts »

Hi, thanks but I'm aware of this.
I need to know more about how the net height is determined from the settings in the font. I now know that it's not an exact science and that different results will occur in different applications or screen resolution or otherwise.
If you can give me suggestions that would be appreciated.
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

Hi, can you please assist with this as I am trying everything at the moment.

I changed for example the "Superscript y offset" to 0 and still the row height is larger.

Please help or at least enquire.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Since we don't know the answer and it is specific to third-party software, it is best to contact Microsoft and ask them for support.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

Hi, yes thanks I have asked but it's a grey area and I just need some assistance of some sort.

I can't find anything specific in the documentation to assist. I understand it's a unique situation.

If you had to design a font with equal "height" for Normal, Subscript, Superscript, where would you start. Which of the settings would you change.

Please have a try at least and offer some more understanding.

A solution would be great but a nudge in the right direction is all I'm expecting. Even if you can refer me to the typography standards as I'm sure when you design your software there are requirements that have to be met, and yes I know they are not 100% foolproof and there may be grey areas but please look into it.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is not a unique situation, but quite a common one with MS products, especially if you're using older versions.

The help file explains about Additional Font Metrics.
Superscript y offset

The recommended vertical offset in font design units from the baseline for superscripts for this font.
The problem seems to be that Excel does not use them correctly, if at all. If setting the Row Height in Excel does not work, then ask Microsoft why it does not.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

Thanks for explaining.

By changing parameters the row height does change in Excel. So it must refer to the information in the font file.

Could you please elaborate further on "The problem seems to be that Excel does not use them correctly, if at all.".
The "if at all" part is incorrect I think.
What is the basis for this if you don't mind responding.

I have asked Microsoft, but haven't had a response yet.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I suspect it is not solvable in the font, but I would first experiment by settings the 3 ascender values way higher, like all 4000, and the descender values to -3000.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Fonts

Post by Fonts »

Thanks, I did try changing the ascenders and descenders to 4000 and -3000 respectively ... but still no luck, and row heights are much too high as well.

The funny thing is that I can get "Normal" and "Normal+Subscript" to match by experimenting. But never got "Normal" and "Normal+Superscript" to match.