Library Refresh Issue

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Roxi2401

Library Refresh Issue

Post by Roxi2401 »

New to MainType so I may not be doing this correctly.

After installing the free version I see that it apparently has scanned the system font folder (Windows/Fonts) and both the Active and Library view shows the same font count.

From a flash drive I copy to the HDD a folder that contains additional fonts. The Library count increases correctly.

As a test, I deleted a number of the fonts in the new folder and the count goes down in the folder shown in Groups.

What does not happen is the count shown in Library does not change ---- it remains at the total count.

I did a "Refresh Font Folders" with no change.

I did find that if i manually select all the appropriate fonts (shown as Not Installed and not Loaded) and "Delete" them, the Library count follows - decreases.

If I have removed the fonts from the new folder and that correctly shows in the folder group, they no longer exist - how can I get them out of the Library and the font list -- is there some other refresh or rescan command that I have missed?

The only thing I found so far is to reinstall the entire program --- then the cache and database is completely rebuilt......gotta be a better way.

Thanks
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Library Refresh Issue

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

See Deleting Fonts in Help.

Once fonts have been added to the vault, they can be found in the Library even if the drive is no longer attached.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This is how it is supposed to work.

MainType maintains a copy of all fonts that it has processed, so it can actually manage your font library without worrying whether fonts are still located on the file system.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Roxi2401

Post by Roxi2401 »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:10 pm This is how it is supposed to work.

MainType maintains a copy of all fonts that it has processed, so it can actually manage your font library without worrying whether fonts are still located on the file system.
So, even if the original font file is removed from the system - there is still a copy in the "Vault?"

Not that Fonts take a lot of space but does this mean for every font in the system (Windows/Fonts) folder or in a Group Folder, there is a second copy on the drive?

And if I really no longer want those fonts, MainType still has it. If I go to the font list and one at a time right-click Delete then its really gone?

Guess I'm a little confused as to the purpose of having Groups with folders containing fonts. If I delete that folder in the Groups, there is still the font in the vault, just not in the Group Folder and MainType can actually load it for use?

Does the same thing apply when I do a search for Duplicates - do they really get deleted from the vault, etc.?

I think I really need to do more research on the difference between "Installing" a font and "Loading" a font. I was originally just trying to identify all the fonts existing on my system and where they were located (folder path, etc.) sort of line the old FontLister program just to do some system housecleaning. MainType certainly appears to do so much more, including creating multiples of the same font.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just had a thought on this Group capability ... does this mean if I were working on multiple client project, could I create a Group folder called "Client 1" and "Client 2" and install the fonts for each client in their respective folders (even if some fonts applied to both clients) and that way I would know which fonts were used for a specific client project? At the end on a project if I use Windows File Explorer to move the client folder off the system, would those fonts still be in the vault for other clients/projects (multiple copies)? This make any sense?

Just trying to get this Group Folder vs the Library (vault) clear in my head. Thanks
Last edited by Roxi2401 on Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.