How to modify the License description?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
TheOneMagos

How to modify the License description?

Post by TheOneMagos »

I have a few simple fonts I made, which I want to release as freeware.

How do I remove the license description? It is advertising the Home edition of Font Creator. I want the file details to only contain the Author and the terms of use listed as "Freeware".
Last edited by TheOneMagos on Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin Denissen

Re: How to modify the License description?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I am sorry, but it is always included this way in the home edition.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
TheOneMagos

Post by TheOneMagos »

If I upgrade can I remove the license description?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

TheOneMagos wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:20 pm If I upgrade can I remove the license description?
Yes, that works.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
TheOneMagos

Post by TheOneMagos »

Help me understand why this necessary? I mean I planned on upgrading at some point but it seems a little shrewish in nature to advertise your program for free in font files people create.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

TheOneMagos wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:38 pm Help me understand why this necessary? I mean I planned on upgrading at some point but it seems a little shrewish in nature to advertise your program for free in font files people create.
With the current license agreement, fonts made with the home edition cannot be used for commercial purposes. So even people who download such fonts are not allowed to use them commercially.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
TheOneMagos

Post by TheOneMagos »

I understand that but isn't a font I create mine to give away if I choose too?
I'm not responsible for what others do. I personally wouldn't care if my freeware font was used commercially since I gave it away with no strings attached. I'm not sure how you expect to enforce a license agreement to people who never agreed to it? I'm not trying to be difficult I just think its a bit strange that High-Logic wants to be the arbiter of what I do with fonts I create and give away for free...
Last edited by TheOneMagos on Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I totally understand your opinion about this, and we are seriously reconsidering this specific constraint in the license agreement. But once removed, we can not easily revert such decision, so we have to be very sure about it. Your feedback helps us make up our mind, so thank you for that.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
TheOneMagos

Post by TheOneMagos »

I do appreciate the honesty. Your software is really top notch and I can understand your point of view on this matter also.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:09 pm We have changed the FontCreator license agreement; you can now use fonts you created with FontCreator home edition for commercial purposes. Obviously, the fonts should not contain any work from others.

The same goes for fonts made during the 30-day trial period. During the trial period, FontCreator runs in professional edition mode, without any restrictions.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486