black version

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
af209

black version

Post by af209 »

How to make a black version into variable since in font creator only make for thin to bold?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: black version

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There is a script for Book to Thin. All the transform scripts can be edited and saved as new scripts to create different transformations. By increasing the Horizontal transformation of the Book to Thin script, you can create something more like Bold to Thin, or Bold to Regular.
Bold to Thin.png
Bold to Thin.png (12.37 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
I have no experience of working with Variable fonts. Read the help topic and the linked tutorial on Variable Fonts. I don’t know if it is best to start with a Regular font weight, or if one can start with a Black font weight when creating variable fonts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

If you have a non-variable font and want to turn it into a variable font, then first add a Weight axis. You can do this on the Font Properties panel, at the Axes tab. Click the Add toolbar icon (green plus sign) and select Weight. If you already have a variable font with that axis, just skip this step.
Var2.png
Var2.png (37.87 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Now go to the Masters tab and click the Add toolbar icon to add the new master. If you already have a font with the outlines (opened in FontCreator), select it, otherwise select Copy from Current Location. Bhikkhu Pesala already explained an easy way to turn outlines from one style into another.

Make sure the Axis location is set according to the specific weight.
Var3.png
Var3.png (31.47 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Now add an Instance that matches the master.
Var4.png
Var4.png (41.75 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
The instances allow legacy software that do not support variable fonts, to use the instances. For this to work, you also need to have corresponding Axes Values, that can be generated from the Instances.
Var5.png
Var5.png (47.32 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
af209

Post by af209 »

the best way to start with regular/bold for fc? also when i use this variable are available for separately file also? like thin, regular,medium, etc. so not only variable but also have a separate for medium only
af209

Post by af209 »

by create variable the master need one or two weight? i cant understand are only start with bold/regular or ultra light and bold ?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I suggest you first take some time to read the user manual, especially this topic about masters:
https://www.high-logic.com/fontcreator/ ... sters.html

Also do open other variable fonts to get familiar with how they are constructed.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
af209

Post by af209 »

Solved ( i just clarify to my post are that are solved, so i can understand)
af209

Post by af209 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:56 am There is a script for Book to Thin. All the transform scripts can be edited and saved as new scripts to create different transformations. By increasing the Horizontal transformation of the Book to Thin script, you can create something more like Bold to Thin, or Bold to Regular.

Bold to Thin.png

I have no experience of working with Variable fonts. Read the help topic and the linked tutorial on Variable Fonts. I don’t know if it is best to start with a Regular font weight, or if one can start with a Black font weight when creating variable fonts.

hi can i know the font that are succeed to converted? because i have a problem with the height, for example there is 3 floor values. 1,2,3 the tool can work for perfect work for 1 or 3 values. but the real values are 2. so, there's no possible way to make a same height
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I used my own Verajja for testing the scripts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486