Individual character map

A central location highlighting fonts created with FontCreator and/or Scanahand. Post information about your fonts here.
MuzzIQ

Individual character map

Post by MuzzIQ »

Imagine you are looking for a specific font. You want a special and unique cut on a special letter. You can then start scrolling through your entire holding of different fonts. But you are not interested in seeing all the different characters or fonts, but only one particular character. And don't have enough time. What are you doing? For my part, I have solved the problem in Excel. In cell A1, I enter a letter and when I hover over a letter in the sheet, the comment field shows the name of the font.
But I wish this feature was available in High-Logic MainType!
Individual Character Map.png
Individual Character Map.png (305.28 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
excel-solution.png
excel-solution.png (54.54 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: Individual character map

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The request sounds nice, but for now there is a work-around:

You can enter the specific characters at the top of the font list, so it is used as preview text. Then increase the preview size, and you can scroll vertically.
G.png
G.png (57.56 KiB) Viewed 6393 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MuzzIQ

Re: Individual character map

Post by MuzzIQ »

Let me ask a direct question to the programmers at HighLogic; can we expect such a feature in the near future?

When I search for a particular font, I am not interested in Status, Family, Style, Kerning or Version, but only what a desired letter/font looks like. Erwin's suggestion is of course a solution, but if we edit his screenshot we see that instead of 12 characters, 168 can be viewed on the same surface. You don't have to be an Einstein to understand that searching this way is much faster.

And then; imagine that you have found the style you are interested in, you click on that particular letter and in the next second you can see a map with all the other letters/characters in that particular font. A utopia? A good program can easily become even better, up to Proof High-Logic!
Attachments
12versus168.png
12versus168.png (57.21 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
Last edited by MuzzIQ on Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.