complete composite

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
af209

complete composite

Post by af209 »

are not possible for some character for using auto?
Erwin Denissen

Re: complete composite

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Do read the topic about Complete Composites in the manual.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
af209

Post by af209 »

i think for some case are can't use auto. because they define based on same glyphs. like *mu unicode is like just a simple u, but it still not defined. but in other case like thorn are can. just confuse
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A number of composites created with Complete Composites, using data from CompositeData.xml, are defined to simplify the design process. The user is expected to decompose the composite glyph, and adjust the contours to get the desired glyph design.
Thorn.png
Thorn.png (10.46 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Take the Capital Thorn, for example. It is composed from the capital I and the capital P. (The Lowercase thorn uses the capital I and the lowercase p). After decomposition (make simple), the user can adjust the contours and then use Get Union of Contours to combine them into the Thorn glyph.

By using basic alphabetic glyphs from the same font, one ensures that stroke weights, and contour shapes match throughout the font.

Other glyphs like Greek mu are undefined. Users can add their own composite definitions by editing CompositeData.xml if they frequently create fonts with Greek character sets.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If we perform the same exercise with capital thorn for Aldine Italic, we have a little more editing to do before combining the contours, but you can now see how the design matches the I and P in the same font.
Capital Thorn Italic.png
Capital Thorn Italic.png (35.41 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Thorn Glyph from Original Font
Aldine Italic Thorn.png
Aldine Italic Thorn.png (19.6 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Complete Composites could be used to generate a similar glyph, if the original Aldine Italic did not already have the capital thorn glyph.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486