how to solve line height/spacing/leading

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
af209

how to solve line height/spacing/leading

Post by af209 »

this case are solved,

i just create this post for everyone for the future who need to fix their problems. this case maybe work for if you have a large of cap-height value and the value near of upem (units per em)

well, the first thing is . i can't find article or post in the forum that help to solve this problem.

if you try to change by this article, https://www.high-logic.com/font-editor/ ... ne-spacing

i think it's not worked anymore, because the problem isn't on there

so, how to solve this?

1. check your upem (units per em) value. by default the value is 2048, i can see it more fonts are set like this value.
2. see, your cap height value size. if you have maybe around 1900-2000 value of cap heigh. you need to change that
But all metrics should be in balance. If the outlines are too small or too large, you should consider increasing or reducing the size of your glyph outlines. We consider outlines too small if the CapHeight is less than ½ upem, and it is too large if is exceeds ¾ upem.
or you can find here viewtopic.php?p=48224#p48224

you can adjust that by trying, how that can fit for your fonts,

i did not notice if erwin not tell to see the other fonts value. idk before units per em can change, also it's really hard because there is no auto calculate

i recommended erwin make this article, because mostly i just find article about vertical metric but actually not help until i try to change the upem (units per em)

thanks!
Attachments
value.png
value.png (22.79 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: how to solve line height/spacing/leading

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Cap height is not just some value you can set to your liking, it has a typographic meaning, as it represents the height of your (Latin) capital letters. In general it should be equal to the top of the Latin capital letter H.

If you think the value is not right, then most likely you have outlines that are too small or too big in relation with the units per em of the font. I also covered this at the end of the tutorial you referred to.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology