How to Ignore Marks in a Chained Context Substitution

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
clawgrip

How to Ignore Marks in a Chained Context Substitution

Post by clawgrip »

I am creating a font in which certain marks require substitutions when they are applied to certain base letters. I can easily accomplish this with a chained context substitution. However, this substitution should occur even if there are intervening marks between the base letter and the mark in question, but the chained context substitution stops working in this case. Is there any way to make a substitution ignore all intervening marks?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: How to Ignore Marks in a Chained Context Substitution

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Moved topic from Tutorials to Support
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Make a class that contains the marks that require substitutions, then set that as Mark Filtering Set. This way all other marks between the base and those marks are ignored.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
clawgrip

Post by clawgrip »

Thank you again for your assistance. I've managed to get it working thanks to your advice.

Here is an image to illustrate:

cā tsā ndyā | sā ppā swrā | ṭā jñā ṇṭyā

The hook on the top right of the first three glyphs, the large arch on top of the next three glyphs, and the curved ascender on the last three glyphs are all graphical variations of the long a vowel sign. The form that this sign takes is entirely governed by the base letter, regardless of how many other subscript signs there are.