Colorfont locked, not editable?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Glyphman

Colorfont locked, not editable?

Post by Glyphman »

Hi. I have downloaded a free colorfont just to play arround with and check how its made. But in edit mode I can not do anything with the glyph, it's totally locked. How can I make it editable. Was reading another post about composit glyphs that was locked, but the solution does not work for this.
Happy to get some advices, tnx
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Colorfont locked, not editable?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Look at the tutorial on Making Multi-coloured Glyphs.

Multicoloured glyphs are similar to composites, in that they are composed of multiple components. Each component must have the same advance width, and the stacking order of the coloured glyph members can be changed.

The colour mode must be set to monochrome to edit the components.
Colour Mode.png
Colour Mode.png (35.18 KiB) Viewed 891 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Glyphman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:43 am Hi. I have downloaded a free colorfont just to play arround with and check how its made. But in edit mode I can not do anything with the glyph, it's totally locked. How can I make it editable. Was reading another post about composit glyphs that was locked, but the solution does not work for this.
It should work with fonts that contain COLR glyph outlines, but it is different for font with SVG glyph outlines. Then you can edit the SVG data by right-clicking within the glyph frame and select Color -> SVG -> Edit SVG.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:09 am
Glyphman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:43 am Hi. I have downloaded a free colorfont just to play arround with and check how its made. But in edit mode I can not do anything with the glyph, it's totally locked. How can I make it editable. Was reading another post about composit glyphs that was locked, but the solution does not work for this.
It should work with fonts that contain COLR glyph outlines, but it is different for font with SVG glyph outlines. Then you can edit the SVG data by right-clicking within the glyph frame and select Color -> SVG -> Edit SVG.
Ok... tnx Erwin. Tried svg first but didn't work, so the COLR was probably the setting for this font. I changed to "Monochrome" but obviously I got the glyph in black/white mode (but editable) :) so I can't see how the colors are managed... Shall look at the tutorial you suggested...
tnx again