Some editing questions

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Gobin

Some editing questions

Post by Gobin »

I am new to font design and just finished about 250 glyphs and now confronting some problems:
1. How to creat alternatives for one specific glyph: For ex. The alternatives for "Z" letter in the first position, in the middle and in the end of a word, the default form will automatically show up. But the user can manually change it and get seveval glyphs for choosing.
2. How to set Ligatures, not only fi or fl but any combination.
3. Is there any visual interface or panel for kerning any two glyphs, for ex. "Ty", "Ve"......
4. How to create icons.
English is my foreign langueage :oops: , I hope I have expressed my questions clear enough, thank you for your support! :D
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Some editing questions

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You need to add some OpenType Features to your font. Clear them all, and select those that you want to add:
  1. For alternatives for one specific glyph add a Character Variants feature. The user will be able to choose one or more alternative glyphs for Z (for example) if this feature is enabled. The default glyph will be Z, then you can add Z1 Z2 etc., in the Private Use Area, or leave them unmapped (the name Z, Z1, Z2, etc. will be used in the substitution table).
  2. Add a discretionary ligatures feature (unless you want them to be used always, then add them to the Standard Ligatures feature, which is enabled by default).
  3. Yes. In the Open Type editor, you can adjust kerning pairs manually if the automatic generation does not suit you. The spacing of automatic kerning pairs can be adjusted from tight to loose before or after generating them.
  4. Icon may be added to the Miscellaneous symbols, Miscellaneous Symbols and Pictographs, or emoji character sets, for example. Insert Characters to choose the appropriate character set for your icons. If one does not exist, just add them to the Private Use Area.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Gobin

Post by Gobin »

To Bhikkhu Pesala:
Thank you for your super fast response and help! :o
I will keep on trying!
Gobin

Post by Gobin »

To Bhikkhu Pesala:
I opened Opentype Designer and so many features are shown "not used", e.g. kerning, ligature and alternate..... even I had finished a pair adjustment and pressed apply, no change happened. :| pretty confused.....
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Look at the tutorial on Adding OpenType Features.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Gobin

Post by Gobin »

To Bhikkhu Pesala:
Thank you! This tutorial looks great! I will study it carefully!