[CLOSED] Several Bugs Report

Post your bug reports here. Include information that helps us to understand and reproduce the bug.
JSPDRN

[CLOSED] Several Bugs Report

Post by JSPDRN »

I have found some bugs in FontCreator 15(.0.0.2945), and I would like to report them here:

1. ABNORMAL White Rectangle in Dark THEME.

When applying the Dark THEME, and taking glyphs or pictures as Background Image (Key F9), a white rectangle is always accompanying and can not be removed. It could be obstacles since the outline of characters is in the same white color, so it would be difficult to identify the characters and edit them.

Such situation was not seen before in Version 14.0, therefore I tend to regard it as a bug.
BUG1.jpg
BUG1.jpg (31.22 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
2. Some Smart Components in .glyphs files are DEFORMED BADLY in FontCreator (especially CJK Characters)

Pick “Dela Gothic” (https://github.com/syakuzen/DelaGothic) as an example:
While opening its TrueType version (https://github.com/syakuzen/DelaGothic/ ... egular.ttf), as is shown in the graph below, components of characters are the same("金"), and proportions of each character's components are adjusted nicely, which makes the glyphs look well and easy to edit.
BUG2.0.jpg
BUG2.0.jpg (228.96 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
But when opening the source file (.glyphs) (https://github.com/syakuzen/DelaGothic/ ... hic.glyphs) with FontCreator, we could find that some of the characters are deformed badly:
BUG2.0.5.jpg
BUG2.0.5.jpg (215.25 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
...it seems that ALL smart components the glyphs using are connected to the original version, so the components’ sizes are all the same.
Take 鎤,鎧,鎮 as examples, NOTICE that the sizes of component “金” in the characters are the same, which is not what we want:
BUG2.1.jpg
BUG2.1.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
BUG2.2.jpg
BUG2.2.jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
BUG2.3.jpg
BUG2.3.jpg (52.81 KiB) Viewed 4661 times

and more...
BUG2.5.jpg
BUG2.5.jpg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 4661 times

The link below may help you learn more about smart components of glyphs in CJK Characters: https://glyphsapp.com/learn/smart-components

3. Processing Speed of glyph-changing becomes much SLOWER

In the same project, while in Version 2936, it only took 5 to 7 secs for glyphs to change, but in Version 2945, the same process takes 30 secs or LONGER. I suggest that Optimization is needed to achieve a better performance.

Apologize for my poor English and hope that it would not be a burden of comprehension. :)
Erwin Denissen

Re: Several Bugs Report

Post by Erwin Denissen »

JSPDRN wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:40 pm I have found some bugs in FontCreator 15(.0.0.2945), and I would like to report them here:

1. ABNORMAL White Rectangle in Dark THEME.
We have just released an update that fixes this issue.
JSPDRN wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:40 pm 2. Some Smart Components in .glyphs files are DEFORMED BADLY in FontCreator (especially CJK Characters)
FontCreator does not support smart components. It seems to be something similar to the way variable fonts are interpolated, but this is on a glyph level. We might consider adding support for this if more people request it, so please repost this to the FontCreator - Requests and Enhancements forum.
JSPDRN wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:40 pm
3. Processing Speed of glyph-changing becomes much SLOWER

In the same project, while in Version 2936, it only took 5 to 7 secs for glyphs to change, but in Version 2945, the same process takes 30 secs or LONGER. I suggest that Optimization is needed to achieve a better performance.

Apologize for my poor English and hope that it would not be a burden of comprehension. :)
We are not able to reproduce this. Maybe you have a lot of text in the Preview area that slows things down?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
JSPDRN

Post by JSPDRN »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:05 pm
JSPDRN wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:40 pm 1. ABNORMAL White Rectangle in Dark THEME.
We have just released an update that fixes this issue.
Thanks for your great work!
JSPDRN wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:40 pm 2. Some Smart Components in .glyphs files are DEFORMED BADLY in FontCreator (especially CJK Characters)
FontCreator does not support smart components. It seems to be something similar to the way variable fonts are interpolated, but this is on a glyph level. We might consider adding support for this if more people request it, so please repost this to the FontCreator - Requests and Enhancements forum.
Thanks for your suggestion and this issue will be reposted in a few days.
JSPDRN wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:40 pm 3. Processing Speed of glyph-changing becomes much SLOWER
We are not able to reproduce this. Maybe you have a lot of text in the Preview area that slows things down?
It couldn't be caused from the text of preview area since the text was all deleted and... it didn't work.
Maybe this problem is caused by my PC, since the available space of my drive is lower than 10 GB. At work, I need to handle with a big project file whose size is about 30MB, and the processing Speed of glyph-changing is much slower than before.
Under the secrecy, the project file will be not provided.

All in all, thanks for your reply and I will update FontCreator to the latest version.
JSPDRN

Post by JSPDRN »

This issue is reposted now: Proposal For Supporting Smart Components of Glyphs