Some Guidence Please...spacing, kerning and metrics...

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Ponyack

Some Guidence Please...spacing, kerning and metrics...

Post by Ponyack »

Hi,

I have been working on my first font and following along with the handwriting tutorial...but I am having a tough time with the spacing...I have tried to use the kerning tool but nothing shows up in the dialog box....and since I am new I am still trying to get my head around using metrics.
Can someone give me a shove in the right direction?

Thanks,

Ponyack
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Spacing is one of the hardest things to get right. Try using the Comparison Toolbar and scroll through your font checking how each glyph looks next to the comparison glyphs. Then try with a different pair, e.g. Capitals.

Adjusting the position of the glyph in the em-square and the right-side bearing is the first step (left side-bearing is best left at zero). Then check for vertical alignment. Letters with flat bases should sit on the baseline, while letters with round bases like c,o,s should descend below it.

Also use the Preview Toolbar to show an entire alphabet a-z or A-Z or 0-9 to see any letters that look out of alignment.

Kerning may be necessary finally, but it is the last aspect of letter spacing to adjust. Some applications do not support kerning.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala,

Great suggestions. May I add, it might be wise to overlap glyphs by 1-4% of the units per em, to avoid pixel dropout caused by rounding. It is recommended to put the overlap on the right side of the glyphs.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Ponyack

Thanks

Post by Ponyack »

I appreciate all the feedback.

I'll post when I have somethng significant

Ponyack