halo fonts??

Post general font related questions (e.g. how to install, convert and use fonts) and requests (looking for fonts, designers etc.) here.
marcp

halo fonts??

Post by marcp »

Hello,

This may be a faq, but I've searched extensively and can't find it. Is it possible to implement a haloed font? It is common in GIS packages to be able to render text with a halo. It seems to be an underprinted character at the same center but with a fatter white pen. The effect is that there is a white border around the text that separates it visually from the background. It helps a lot to make the text legible on a busy background.

The nearest thing I can find in the font world is an 'inline' font, but that really isn't it.

Thanks

Marc Pelletier
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

With fonts you can have any colour you like as long as it is black. You can create a white contour, but only inside a black one. The best that you could do with the font itself is create a font with a hairline black outline and a white shadow, which I suspect will not be what is wanted.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
marcp

Post by marcp »

With fonts you can have any colour you like as long as it is black. You can create a white contour, but only inside a black one. The best that you could do with the font itself is create a font with a hairline black outline and a white shadow, which I suspect will not be what is wanted.
Bhikku,

Thanks for that. I don't think the hairline outline will work for me. Thanks anyway.

Marc