Any way to change the office 2007 Segoe font to Tahoma ?

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
Thomas Z.

Any way to change the office 2007 Segoe font to Tahoma ?

Post by Thomas Z. »

Hello,

i have hard troubles with the Segoe font of office 2007. Changing clear type, etc..doesn't really optimize it. The font always looks bad.
My last hope is that i could anyhow change the font directly in windows.
So my idea is to overwrite the seqoe with the tahoma, but it seems to be not that easy. Can someone help please ?
Note: The main problem with Seqoe is that it looks rather grey than black, especialy in small sizes like 8pt.

Regards

Thomas
Thomas
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Use at your own risk!

This is a system wide font substitution, so it will work throughout the whole system.

To change your system font follow these steps:
a) open the registry editor (Go to Start -> Run, then type regedit and press the OK button)
b) Go to this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes
c) Replace the value data of both "MS Shell Dlg" and "MS Shell Dlg 2" with "Tahoma".
d) Restart Windows.

Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Thomas Z.

Post by Thomas Z. »

i have tried, without success. the font in MS Shell Dlg was already:
Microsoft Sans Serif
In MS Shell Dlg 2 it was Tahoma

Maybe a similar setting available extra for office ?
Thomas
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm not sure if you refer to the font used in the user interface or in the (Word) documents or something else. Could you please show us a screenshot that explains where you want to see another font?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Thomas Z.

Post by Thomas Z. »

i want to change(remove) the segoe font everywhere. I have found out that i can change it in the outlook editor, etc...but i can't change it everywhere by default.

Now i have searched through the registry again and have found 2 keys where i can change it. The path includes S-1-5-18 which sounds like a recycle location. So i have first removed the segio font from the windows/font folder and than i have changed the entry to another font:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\B1E0398E98E85C04F939531623E572AA

Outlook/office automatically reinstalls missing fonts and i assume that it needs the path from the above listed registry path. Now i have defined another path and so another font will be installed and used. Segoi wasn't installed anymore and now almost everything in office is excellent readable !

Only some parts are probably defined in another location/font. Hopefully i can find that too.

Does anyone know of a program that shows me the used font when i click on it anywhere in a program like outlook ?
Thomas
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

S-1-5-18 is a Security identifier, known as "This Organization". Here is the description taken from Windows Server TechCenter:
Added by the authentication server to the authentication data of a user, provided the Other Organization SID is not already present.

Note: While you are talking about Segoe, I asume you actually mean Segoe UI as that font is used as the user interface font in both Windows Vista and Office 12.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Thomas Z.

Post by Thomas Z. »

Thanks for the information.

Yes, i mean the Segoe UI which is used over the complete user interface. I am still very surprised that Microsoft activates this font at every computer without allowing to change it anywhere. Especially because on about 50% of monitors it looks really bad. I am a software developer myself and i would never do that, if yes, i would make a switch to make it readable for everyone.

Do you know about other new fonts that MS uses in office12 and vista ?
I have one or two other fonts that i would like to replace, but i don't know what font it is.
Thomas
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Here you go, Office 12 also includes these font families:
Calibri, Cambria, Candara, Consolas, Constantia & Corbel

The intended use of these fonts is explained here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2 ... 01009.aspx
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Thomas Z.

Post by Thomas Z. »

thanks for the link.
i have tried the same with all the other fonts but hasn't worked here.
Thomas