Tip of the Day

Discuss FontCreator here, please do not post support requests, feature requests, or bug reports!

Have you ever used the Tip of the Day feature?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:53 pm

No, never.
60%
Yes, but only the first few days.
40%
Yes, I use it all the time.
No votes

Total votes: 10

Erwin Denissen

Tip of the Day

Post by Erwin Denissen »

When the Font Creator Program is started for the first time, is shows a Tip of the Day window. Right now it has just eleven tips. What kind of tips would you like to have included?

P.s. don't forget to vote!
Last edited by Erwin Denissen on Fri May 16, 2003 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Chris Eilers

Post by Chris Eilers »

For my part, I invariably disable Tip of the Day, animated Help critters, disappearing Menu commands, and sundry “helpful” artificial intelligence features such as those in Microsoft Word (assuming the damn program allows me to disable them) -- in fact anything and everything that interferes with my ability to do exactly what I want when I want -- and I disable these features just as soon as I can figure out how to go about it. Consequently, for me the most helpful feature of Tip of the Day is the option of cancelling it.

However, I rather doubt if my attitude is typical of users as a whole. I suspect that it reflects an independent temperament, and I suspect that this same temperament is naturally inclined toward becoming what is termed a “power user”, and is also naturally inclined toward welcoming the opportunity to make its feelings known about things like Tip of the Day. I also suspect that it is the people who have similar temperamental traits who are inclined to post on forums such as this one, and who bother to click on Polls such as this one. I note that at the time that I am posting this message you have 4 replies -- all “never” -- and what I am suggesting with all my speculations about temperament is that you might get a very skewed result from this poll, and should therefore ignore the result and carry on with the Tip of the Day! Of course, these temperament speculations might be complete nonsense -- occasionally talking nonsense being one of my less likeable temperamental traits, and possibly even part of the same temperament syndrome. :?
Last edited by Chris Eilers on Fri May 16, 2003 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Only for Beginners?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I agree with Chris. I very quickly turn off such features, but then I am also someone who investigates every menu just to find out what I have paid for that I'm not using.

Will those new to the program do the same? Perhaps not, and would they look at this poll? Almost certainly not.

The Tip of the Day dialogue could be a bit smaller and less obstrusive, say in the bottom right corner of the screen like Mr Clippy, and if it could reduce to an icon after a minute or so, that would be a bonus. However, the text needs to be much bigger.

Suggested tips would be mostly on the keyboard shortcuts
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Yehuda
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Yehuda »

Like Chris and Bhikkhu, I don't like Tip of the Day and similar features. And it's not a question of failiarity with the program, because I dislike Tip of the Day even in new programs.

I think this forum is a much better place to get tips about using FCP than Tip of the Day :D
Last edited by Yehuda on Sat May 17, 2003 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yehuda N. Falk
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Jerusalem, Israel

"And because, in all the galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere."
--Arthur C. Clarke, 2001: A Space Odyssey
Chris Eilers

Post by Chris Eilers »

Perhaps it’s neither here nor there, but it rather amuses me to note that all three respondents to this post (so far) share an interest in what could broadly be described as philosophy -- in addition to a shared dislike of canned instructions:-- Bhikkhu with his Buddhism, Yehuda with his universality of mind, and me with my single-minded font focus -- seeing the facsimile replication and republication of the early works of a dead philosopher! :D
elak

TOTD

Post by elak »

I usually disable TOTD, since it is generally misused and contains redundant and/or irrelevant information. If implemented well, though, it is a worthwile feature which I think you should keep.

There are a number of improvements you could make. For one thing, include more tips. Thirteen is not much. It is also slow. There is a nearly one second long delay on my computer. I also think that TOTD should not be showed when using "open with...". And I miss a "previous tip" button.

Also consider this:

TOTD should be used primarily to
:arrow: highlight unique, non-standard or easily missed features (such as Repeat and the auto wizards)
:arrow: suggest minor workflow improvements (such as using Alt+letter keystrokes for repetetive tasks)
:arrow: point the user to more information (such as the quickstart tutorial and the High-logic forums)
:arrow: inform about other useful tools (such as Fix Fonts Folder and CrossFont (with the author's permission, of course))

On the other hand it should not be used to
:arrow: highlight standard features (such as tooltips, Undo and right-button context menus)
:arrow: state things already obviously covered by the "Getting Started" and "What's new?" sections of the Help feature.
:arrow: state things that the user will discover anyway (such as that you can't install the same font twice)

Amusing tips are nice too, since they provide motivation for the user to at least browse through the TOTDs once. My favourite example is in CakeWalk, where among more useful tips can be found "Did you know beer and pizza go well together?" :)
Chris Eilers

Post by Chris Eilers »

I quite like the idea of amusing quotes, particularly the pizza one. Also, maybe thought-provoking font-related quotes. There are some great quotes in the Typographic Wisdom chapter of “Fontographer: Type by Design” and on the page facing the Foreword of “The Elements of Typographic Style”. Would suggest maybe two or three practical tips followed by one amusing/inspiring quote.

What am I saying? I loath the potted quotes on my desk calendar. If I go any further down this track I’ll be making suggestions for McDonalds menu items next. :(
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I was going to suggest a few like:
  • Did you know that Fontlab only costs $549?
  • Font Creator can be used to change any character, except Bill Gates
  • Did you know that Fontographer has been reduced to $349?

but I thought better of it and deleted my post. I wouldn't like to get a writ from Bill Gates or Macromdia (~_~)
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Chris Eilers

Post by Chris Eilers »

Love 'em. I definitely think you should go with Bhikkhu's suggestions, Erwin. :D
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Nudge and Constrain

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Nudging

I was just going to post a request for changing the option for the nudge distance, but just discovered that by holding down the control key one can nudge by a single font unit. Without the control key, the arrow key alone nudges by ten unitts. This definitely belongs in the Tip of the Day list.

Nudge is not listed in the help contents. Nudge and nudging are found by using find, but not displayed with display - one has to scroll down.

Constraining Movement

Holding down the shift key after moving an element constrains it to horizontal or vertical movement.