Ctrl Scroll Zoom-In and Zoom-Out

We will move topics to this forum, once we've implemented the requested feature(s) and/or enhancement(s).
artbraune

Ctrl Scroll Zoom-In and Zoom-Out

Post by artbraune »

CTL-Scroll Zoom-In and Zoom-Out

This feature would increase usability of Glyph editing tremendously.

Please let me know if you require more details.

Thanks!!!
Art
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Why not give the details in the first place instead of expecting people to guess? You can already zoom in and out with the + and - keys on the numeric keypad.

I guess you mean zooming with the scrollwheel mouse by holding down the control key. This would be a useful addition.

You can also pan with the mouse by holding down the spacebar.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
artbraune

Post by artbraune »

Zooming with the scrollwheel mouse by holding down the control key is exactly what my intent was.

Just wasn't sure how to articulate it - hence the ask for more details...

8^)

Thanks!
Art
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi Art,

Thanks for the suggestion. A couple of weeks ago I received a similar request by email and added it to the to-do list:
I'm used to the Computer Aided Drafting world (AutoCAD) and that of Google Earth where (in AutoCAD) clicking and holding the middle/wheel mouse button performs a Move/Pan and where rolling the wheel of a mouse Zooms (increases/decreases the display view).
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
youemailme

Zooming shortcuts......

Post by youemailme »

I'd like to add my voice to this request. I just installed and started playing with the program today. Looks like a great program, but editing is a huge pain if you have to keep going to the + & - buttons. I too am a CAD user, Vectorworks in this case, and I also use Google Sketchup a lot. The type of work is very similar to editing a letter, and one constantly zooms in to work on fine detail, and zooms out to see the whole picture, or to facilitate navigation to the next area. Both those programs use the scroll wheel in some fashion to zoom in and out quickly. Vectorworks also allows you to zoom in by pressing the z key repeatedly, or c to zoom out, and pressing either of those once invokes a zoom tool that allows you to draw a marquee around the area you want to zoom into, similar to Photoshop. Sketchup's scroll wheel zoom is especially nice because the zoom center is where your pointer is, so you're not always zooming into the center of the document. Some programs also give you zoom options in a right-click context menu.

Thanks for taking these requests to heart!
Steve Hausz
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Zooming shortcuts......

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

youemailme wrote:The type of work is very similar to editing a letter, and one constantly zooms in to work on fine detail, and zooms out to see the whole picture, or to facilitate navigation to the next area.
I find that the easiest way to zoom in to work on detail, is to select the nodes of interest in points mode, then click the Zoom to Selected button. Click the Fit to Window button to zoom out again. Hold the space bar to pan while zoomed in. The scroll-wheel would be nice too though. I look forward to the next version.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Ditto

Post by Dave Crosby »

Ditto to what Bhikkhu Pesala said!

Why fiddle with the + - or wheel when you can select a point, group of points or a contour and hit the magnifying glass and you are there!

Hit the next button to the left and you are back to full size.

I guess it is all in what you are used to.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
youemailme

Post by youemailme »

Thanks everyone, for all your input. As I said, I only started playing with the app today. I hadn't even explored the tool bars when I wrote earlier. Your suggestions have been helpful, and I've discovered some other options on my own. The magnifier glass tool is great for zooming in to any area I draw a marquee around, and consistent with some other apps, it zooms out when used in combination with the alt key. And I discovered from the keyboard shortcuts list that / is the same as fit to window. But if anyone knows a keyboard shortcut to return to the basic select tool, that would be the best of all! I can't believe there isn't a shortcut for that!
Steve Hausz
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Try ESC.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Or ...

Post by Dave Crosby »

Or just click on any Samples Cell and return without dragging anything in.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Zooming with the scrollwheel would be useful in the Font Test window and the Preview toolbar too. Currently, it doesn't even work if the cursor is in the font size field. Control scrollwheel could also zoom in the glyph overview.
artbraune

Post by artbraune »

Erwin,

Any update on this request?

Many thanks in advance!
Art
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Add Shift + Scrollwheel to scroll horizontally please.
stormag

Scroll to zoom, middle button to pan!

Post by stormag »

I agree with youemailme. The absolutely best (most convenient/fastest) way of zooming and panning at the moment is using scroll wheel and middle button (pressing scroll button in 98% contemporary mouses).

Don't trust me- launch AutoCAD/Archicad and try it yourself! That will be the last time you'll EVER touch the keyboard to zoom/pan and after 5 minutes you'll forget that any zooming buttons have ever existed in any toolbars. I also have strong CAD background, where everything is about speed and flexibility (zooming/panning every 5 seconds)- I'd have switched to different CAD package if AutoCAD hadn't had this function!

Don't do it other way- do it the only best way!!!

Best regards,

Adam
Last edited by stormag on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: CTL-Scroll Zoom-In and Zoom-Out

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

While you're waiting … … …

Zoom in tool in conjunction with the Alt key to zoom out is pretty good.

Escape to select the pointer tool.

Forward slash to fit to window.

Hold down the space bar to pan with the mouse.