FontBook requires 'fpgm', 'prep' and 'cvt ' tables for open type

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
cxhris

FontBook requires 'fpgm', 'prep' and 'cvt ' tables for open type

Post by cxhris »

support open type tables.

i've made some fonts with this programme, but i'm stuck when it comes to upgrading them with open type substitutions: apple's FontBook no longer likes the fonts, because - i'm reliably informed - they don't have hinting data: specifically 'fpgm', 'prep' and 'cvt ' tables. i don't know what this has to do with open type, but there it is. FontBook says that 'open type data is missing' and they have a serious error. this is despite getting through VOLT without error.
i wonder if it's possible for a default inclusion of these tables.... a series of empty functions, or whatever form hints take. is that a technically feasible request?

and...

i think it needs the grid snap to be split into 4, and also made snappier.

i've noticed that though i was sure i'd snapped a point to a grid corner, on looking at higher magnification it would usually be a little astray. slightly annoying. you could make the snapping keener perhaps; but it's useful, at an intermediate magnification, to snap to the grid in one axis - say to the baseline - but not the other axis... you get that bit of free play in the middle of a grid square.....
so, can you offer a 4 way choice? a hard snap to the grid, hard to either horizontal or vertical, or no snapping.......
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't know the answer to your first question.

I could not reproduce the problem with snap to grid, it always seems to snap precisely to the intersection, but it not a feature I have used much. I generally use guidelines.

Holding down shift while moving points may help you as it constrains movement horizontally or vertically. Also, try using the align tools to align nodes — just another way of working.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

apple's FontBook no longer likes the fonts, because - i'm reliably informed - they don't have hinting data
I find it hard to believe, FontBook is complaining about the lack of hinting data. That really isn't a requirement, so I suspect it has something to do with other settings. Can you please send me the font file, and I'll try to look into this.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
cxhris

Post by cxhris »

i'm sending you the offending font. i was sure the error was mine as well until it was scanned - somehow - by an expert. very likely it is my error... trouble is, on a message board, one has to go public with one's erroneous suspicions... but maybe other people will make the same mistake.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I've looked into this issue (I don't own a Mac, but did some Googling) and it looks like FontBook doesn't like fonts with OpenType tables, but without hinting data. This is absurd, so I hope Apple decides to change their validation checks. I've added basic hinting tables (I didn't hint the glyphs) to one of your fonts. I hope that helps.

Do let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology