How to change space between characers and glyphs

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
pettigrew

How to change space between characers and glyphs

Post by pettigrew »

I tried working with the kerning...but when we try to use the font there is no change in the spacing between the letters. What I used was an old font that I edited and added some glyphs that had not previously been there. Those are the characters that I am having spacing problems with...any help would be greatly appreciated!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Kerning is used to override the default spacing between a pair of characters. Based on the information you gave, I think you are looking for a way to change the space before and after an individual glyph. This can be done by changing the left side bearing and the right side bearing, as explained in the user manual:
In the Glyph Edit window there are two vertical lines (normally the glyph outline lies in between these lines) that represent the left and right side bearings. These are shown by default but you can hide them through the Show Metrics button on the Drawing toolbar. The left and right side bearings can be changed by dragging them to their desired position. You can also adjust the bearings when you right click a glyph in the Glyph Overview window and select Properties. Here you can alter the left side bearing and the advance width. White space should be evenly distributed between the left and right side bearings of glyphs except when font is specifically designed with ligatures for joining characters in a cursive script font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology