After editing, font sucks

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
tolga

After editing, font sucks

Post by tolga »

Hi,

I downloaded a font from the internet and tried to edit it as it currently doesn't support Turkish characters. I found the box which I had to edit, copied from another box and made the necessary changes, but when I saved, the font looked like Times New Roman when I typed -not just the character I edited, all of it-. Did I miss something? I thought it was a Open the font- make changes-save process, but apparently I missed something. Help me out please.

Regards,
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is not recommended to edit installed fonts.

Uninstall, edit, save, test, install.

It is straightforward to add accented characters for Turkish using insert characters and complete composites if the font already contains the required accents.

These glyphs are required for Turkish
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
tolga

Post by tolga »

I did a Test after editing, but all I can see is blank squares. Then I installed the font, and the character I edited still looks like Times New Roman.

Regards,
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

tolga wrote:I did a Test after editing, but all I can see is blank squares. Then I installed the font, and the character I edited still looks like Times New Roman.
Then you font fails to load. I suspect it doesn't follow the specifications. 1001 things can go wrong with a font, so it's hard to tell the exact cause and solution to this problem.

It might help if you explain what you changed to the original font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
tolga

Post by tolga »

Hi,

I found the box that says yacute (I think that's the one for i without the dot), copied the letter i, and deleted the dot above it.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

That should not result in a corrupt font, so please send me both original and modified versions of the font and I'll look into it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
tolga

Post by tolga »

Erwin Denissen wrote:That should not result in a corrupt font, so please send me both original and modified versions of the font and I'll look into it.
I sent you both files.

Regards,
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I've just tried the modified font I received from you.

The font works just fine on my computer, running Windows Vista. Please give us more details (characters you tried, what word processor you use, Windows version, etc) about why you think the font is not working correctly.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
tolga

Post by tolga »

The character I tried is ı (i without a dot), I'm trying to type in Adobe Photoshop, using Windows XP, and why I think the font doesn't work is when I type ı, I get the character like Times New Roman.

Regards,
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Have you tried deleting the cache files used by Adobe Products?

Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\TypeSpt and delete any AdobeFnt*.lst files.

Warning: Do not delete AdobeFnt.db and FntNames.db

Do let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
tolga

Post by tolga »

I just did that, and it's the same :(

Regards,
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Unbelievable...

You could try the Tools->AutoNaming wizard, to change the font name. Then save it with a new file name, and install that. I'm really lost if that doesn't work.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Ultimoose

Post by Ultimoose »

Hy! I'm new here. I made a font but it's wrong. Every time when I push a button it put a space not a character. What's the problem?Pls help.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Maybe you've only added upper case characters and you are typing in lower case, or the other way around.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Ultimoose

Post by Ultimoose »

thank you very much. :D