Combining Vertical Line Above

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
wesingkasu

Combining Vertical Line Above

Post by wesingkasu »

$0069:Letter i
$030D:Combining Vertical Line Above

I hope that the $0069 + $030D can be like the Charis SIL Font that the combined well, not like Lucida Sans Unicode font, the above vertical line above is distortion side. How should I do?

Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Combining Vertical Line Above

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The SIL font uses smart font technology to position the diacritics correctly. When you type an i followed by a combining line above, the smart font features automatically combine dotless i with the diacritic and positions it correctly.
To take advantage of the advanced typographic capabilities of this font, you must be using applications that provide an adequate level of support3 for Graphite and OpenType. At the time of release, no application supports all of the OpenType features of this font. Paratext 6 and Microsoft Office 2003 support many of the automatic ligatures as well as dynamic positioning of most diacritics. While Adobe InDesign 2/CS/CS2 does not offer support for dynamic diacritic positioning, it is one of the few applications to offer selection of alternate glyphs from OpenType fonts. There are currently few applications which make use of the Graphite capabilities of the font. These are WorldPad4, a beta version of Mozilla5, all applications in the FieldWorks Suite6 (such as Data Notebook) as well as a Graphite integration into OpenOffice 2.07.
I tested the font in OpenOffice 2.4.1 and it works well — even if you use more than one diacritic, or a capital letter.
Charis SIL Diacritics.png
Charis SIL Diacritics.png (1.66 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
This smart font technology cannot be added in FontCreator — you must use another application such as VOLT.

Glyph Processing in Detail
GPOS table

The GPOS table contains a very powerful set of lookup types to reposition glyphs relative to their normative positions and to each other. Glyph positioning lookups work in two ways: by adjusting glyph positions relative to their metrical space or by linking predefined attachment points on different glyphs. These two methods are further divided into specific adjustment and attachment lookup types that can be used to control positioning of diacritics relative to single or ligatured characters, and even to enable chains of contextual positioning operations. The OpenType specification currently supports eight different GPOS lookup types:
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
wesingkasu

Re: Combining Vertical Line Above

Post by wesingkasu »

Thank you very much.
I have been successful.