Can Microsoft Word access alternate glyphs of Adobe fonts?

Please try to keep all the discussions in the main forums on topic! If you have anything else, related to fonts, you want to share, please post it here!
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Can Microsoft Word access alternate glyphs of Adobe fonts?

Post by William »

Could someone who has Adobe Garamond or Adobe Arno and Microsoft Word possibly have a look as to whether the Insert Symbol facility of Microsoft Word offers the alternate glyphs of the font please?

William Overington

15 August 2008
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Mixed results

Post by Dick Pape »

I tried Adobe Arno Pro.otf and nothing beyond 00FF (small letter y with diaeresis) was visible with Insert Symbol. The font had 1009 glyphs.
Last edited by Dick Pape on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Dick Pape wrote:I tried Adobe Arno Pro.otf and nothing beyond 00FF (small letter y with diaeresis) was visible with Insert Symbol. The font had 1009 glyphs.
Thank you trying the experiment.

I am surprised at the result.

What do you get with Times New Roman and Arial please?

Some readers might like to have a look at the glyph complement of Adobe Arno Pro.

http://store1.adobe.com/type/browser/pd ... egular.pdf

There are various alternate glyphs, yet there are also many regular glyphs from after U+00FF.

I use Word 97, which has been here for about ten years now: with Times New Roman and Arial, Insert Symbol can be used to insert accented characters from beyond U+00FF.

William Overington

16 August 2008
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

A successful test

Post by Dick Pape »

Times New Roman and Arial work fine for me-- can see the entire character set and therefore select any of them.

I tried a TTF of Arno Pro (OTF saved via FC) and it worked as expected -- could see all glyphs.

The ArnoPro OTF shows up in MS Word (2002) drop menu with a different icon (some sort of shaded rectangle) than the other fonts which show a TT symbol. Maybe Microsoft doesn't "do" Adobe?
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Thank you.

William