What about the "^", and "`" characters?

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
SpineyNorman

What about the "^", and "`" characters?

Post by SpineyNorman »

I was hoping to use Scanahand to construct a complete array of characters that I can access from my North American keyboard. I'm a programmer, so ALL characters are important.

Is there some feature that allows me to remap scans of TM and (R) to ^ and `?

If not, I'd like to emphatically request that. Otherwise, I'd consider the product incomplete.

Thanks very much.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The ^ is already mapped, just draw in the signature area. The grave accent ` is a character that is not available right now. We expect to release Scanahand version 2 very soon. Although the Basic Edition will also contain a two page template, your required grave accent is not included there. However the newly introduced Premium Edition allows you to make and use your own templates, so that should solve the problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
SpineyNorman

Post by SpineyNorman »

Thank you very much for the quick response, Mr. Denissen.

I am eager to begin trying this tool out - actually being able to save the font would be nice.

If I purchase a single-user license of Scanahand 1.0 now, how much would an upgrade to 2.0 Premium cost?

Might 2.0 Premium be available before November?

Thanks again!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

During the first few weeks when Scanahand version 2 is released, we will have an introduction price that is equal to the prices as shown here:
http://www.high-logic.com/register.html

So when you buy Scanahand 1 Basic Edition for $29.00 today, you'll be able to upgrade to Scanahand 2 Premium Edition for $20.00.
Might 2.0 Premium be available before November?
We work very hard to get it out in October, but we don't have a release date yet. Do come back in a few weeks, or even better subscribe to our newsletter.
http://www.high-logic.com/newsletter.html
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Scanahand 2.0 was released on 29th October. All of these characters can be mapped in the Standard Edition — many more in the Premium Edition.

Code: Select all

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z ? ! % & a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z : ; . , 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 + - ~ = ± # $ € £ ¢ [ ] ( ) { } < > \ / ' " * ™ @ © ® _ | • ¤ § ° ¶ † ‡ À Á Â Ã Ä Å Ą Ç Ć Ĉ È É Ê Ë Ĕ Ĝ Ĥ Ì Í Î Ï Ĵ Ł Ń Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö Ő Ø Ś Ŝ Š Ù Ú Û Ü Ŭ Ű Ý Ÿ Ź Ż Ž à á â ã ä å ą ç ć ĉ è é ê ë ę ƒ ĝ ĥ ı ì í î ï ĵ ł ń ñ ò ó ô õ ö ő ø ś ŝ š ù ú û ü ŭ ű ý ÿ ź ż ž Æ Œ Ð Þ ß æ œ ð þ µ ¿ ¡ « » ¬ ²
The ^ glyph is used for the signature, but you can use this for the ^glyph if you wish.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

For some reason not all characters in your "code quote" are visible when I view your post in Firefox. The quote below does show them all in FF3.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z ? ! % & a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z : ; . , 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 + - ~ = ± # $ € £ ¢ [ ] ( ) { } < > \ / ' " * ™ @ © ® _ | • ¤ § ° ¶ † ‡ À Á Â Ã Ä Å Ą Ç Ć Ĉ È É Ê Ë Ĕ Ĝ Ĥ Ì Í Î Ï Ĵ Ł Ń Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö Ő Ø Ś Ŝ Š Ù Ú Û Ü Ŭ Ű Ý Ÿ Ź Ż Ž à á â ã ä å ą ç ć ĉ è é ê ë ę ƒ ĝ ĥ ı ì í î ï ĵ ł ń ñ ò ó ô õ ö ő ø ś ŝ š ù ú û ü ŭ ű ý ÿ ź ż ž Æ Œ Ð Þ ß æ œ ð þ µ ¿ ¡ « » ¬ ²
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
SpineyNorman

Still lacking "^" and "`" (ascii 94 and

Post by SpineyNorman »

Hello again,

Your quoted array of supported Scanahand v2 characters is still leaving out a couple of standard ascii characters.

Can you please talk me through the process of exactly reproducing the character set found on a north american keyboard? The two characters I'm mentioning are used frequently in programming - my major application.

To be specific, I want this basic set of characters (ascii 33-126) to be accessible without using special control codes:
~!@#$%^&*()_+
`1234567890-=
{}|[]\:;"'<>?,./
...and of course all standard, non-accented upper and lower case letters.

Is this possible?

Thank you very much.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You may need the Premium Edition. I don't see the ASCII 96 grave accent. The ^ is available in the Standard edition — just draw it in the place reserved for the signature.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Since you are a developer I assume you are able to define your own custom template with ease. Just open the Template Editor in Scanahand 2 and add a new template containing your requested characters.

When done, do consider adding it here:
http://www.high-logic.com/scanahand/cus ... lates.html
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

I followed the link to http://www.high-logic.com/scanahand/cus ... lates.html and found a template which had greek.xml as its name.

This was interesting as until now I had thought of templates as being graphic files.

I then tried some experiments with producing custom templates and then decided to try to produce some publishable files and some notes.

Here is the transcript from my notes.

----

Wednesday 5 November 2008

07:53 am

Start Scanahand 2.0

Tools Template Editor... Add

Enter the following in the Name filed.

from_exclamation_to_tilde

Uncheck the Include signature checkbox.

Click on the Code Points panel selector.

Delete everything on the panel.

Add the following to the panel.

33-126

Click on the Characters panel selector.

Click on the Code Points panel selector.

The contents of the panel are displayed as follows.

$21-$7E

That is the 33-126 expressed as hexadecimal numbers.

Click OK

Save the template as a gif file with the following file name.

from_exclamation_to_tilde.gif

Tools Template Editor...

Select the from_exclamation_to_tilde template.

Export...

Save

The following file has been produced.

from_exclamation_to_tilde.xml

Open the from_exclamation_to_tilde.xml file using WordPad.

Open the from_exclamation_to_tilde.gif file using Paint.

08:14 am

----

I uploaded the files to the web.

Here are the links.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/f ... _tilde.xml

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/f ... _tilde.gif

I have not filled in the template nor produced a font using the template, so the files are untested.

Some readers might like to try to use the template and to try to produce one or more fonts. This would be a good test of whether the template files which I have produced are satisfactory. Feedback is welcome please.

There are a number of blank cells in this template. Another template which included the "from exclamation to tilde" range of characters could use the extra cells for other characters. If it were desired to produce a font with just the "from exclamation to tilde" range included in the font then those extra cells could be left blank when the other cells had pen marks made in them.

William Overington

5 November 2008
SpineyNorman

Finally - a process to follow

Post by SpineyNorman »

Wonderful William,
(that's my name also)

Thanks for taking the time to log your workflow.

I'll now proceed to actually purchse this tool (probably the bundle)

Thanks again.

PS: May I please PM you with particular questions occasionally? I'd really like to understand a lot about fonts and their structure.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Finally - a process to follow

Post by Erwin Denissen »

SpineyNorman wrote:I'll now proceed to actually purchse this tool (probably the bundle)
Thanks!

Enjoy the software.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology