hebrew fonts

Post questions about type and font design here.
tiferes

hebrew fonts

Post by tiferes »

how can i make the nekodos should match properly with the font
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't know what a "nekodos" is. There are not too many of us here who know Hebrew.

You can find some Hebrew fonts made with FontCreator by Mike Thompson. Perhaps his fonts will help you to see how to make your fonts work.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
tiferes

nekodos

Post by tiferes »

my cocerns are how to make hebrew fonts work properly
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

All I can suggest is to search the forum for "Hebrew" and read the threads to find out more. There is obviously going to be a communication problem if you don't know English very well unless Yehuda spots your posts.

I believe that it is possible to make Hebrew fonts work, but there may be some limitations due to lack of OpenType support in FontCreator.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Yehuda
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Yehuda »

"Nekudos" (or "nekudot" in Israeli Hebrew pronunciation, or "nikud" in more common Israeli usage) are the dots and dashes that are used in some kinds of Hebrew texts (mostly) to represent vowel sounds. These symbols are positioned around the letters and add an extra degree of complexity to Hebrew typography.

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "match properly with the font". The nikud symbols should be centered between the left and right bearing lines, and Windows will overlap them with the previous character. This does not require OpenType. I imagine it might be more customizable with OpenType but AFAIK extant Hebrew fonts do not do that. The only way I know to streamline the positioning of nikud is to use the wordprocessor DavkaWriter.
Yehuda N. Falk
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Jerusalem, Israel

"And because, in all the galaxy, they had found nothing more precious than Mind, they encouraged its dawning everywhere."
--Arthur C. Clarke, 2001: A Space Odyssey
Mike Thompson
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: hebrew fonts

Post by Mike Thompson »

The quickest way is to take an existing Hebrew font (TTF file) with nekudot and modify it.
Change the name of the font, remove copyright information etc (!)
Use Font Creator to replace all the Hebrew characters with characters of your own design.
If it contains Latin characters also they may be copyrighted so paste in a set of ABC from a
free software font.
This is how I developed Mike Hebrew.
Good luck
Mike
Mike Thompson
Hebrew Font Design
http://hebrew-font-shuneet.com