Bold & Italics

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
AMIL-1848

Bold & Italics

Post by AMIL-1848 »

Hello, I am new to FontCreater. So, I had some questions. Would it be possible for me to transfer a project from say Birdfont to FontCreater? Also, I know that I cannot batch bold and italicize my font characters, but can I at least bold and italicize the characters one at a time? Finally, would I have to redesign each character to bold and italicize or can I just push a button to do this?

Moderator: Moved from Tutorials to Support
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Bold & Italics

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FontCreator can open TrueType/OpenType fonts exported from other font editors.

Variable fonts let you create bold and oblique versions of a font by adding axes. I have no experience of creating variable fonts, so read the manual or online help.

True italic fonts have different glyph shapes and widths to the regular version of the same family. There is no shortcut to creating italic fonts.
Hari.png
Hari.png (6.27 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
AMIL-1848

Post by AMIL-1848 »

Thanks. I was also wondering, since I would be using FontCreator 15, the latest version, does that make any difference? Most of the examples and tutorials I've seen are for earlier versions with FontCreator 13 being the most recent and even those videos are several years old.
Last edited by AMIL-1848 on Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FontCreator 15 would be better. The Help file is online now, and you have the PDF manual.

I have all the fonts that I need now for my publications, so I don't have any reason to make variable fonts now. I wrote a lot of the code for CompositeData.xml and some transform scripts, and I still follow the forums to help out here.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated with link to online Help
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
AMIL-1848

Post by AMIL-1848 »

I did find these: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... creator+15. I'm hoping they'll be helpful enough. Otherwise, I'll do my best to follow the manual. Though, since you said I can import an Open or TrueType file, maybe I'll try that. Been working on my font for months. So, I'd rather not have to start completely from scratch. Thanks just the same for your help thus far.