Spacing & Sizing

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
AMIL-1848

Spacing & Sizing

Post by AMIL-1848 »

I'm having trouble figuring out how to better adjust the spacing with my font characters. The space between sentence lines looks good when I test the font via Microsoft Word, but the space in between my characters is further apart than I would prefer. I did some adjusting with that, but it still doesn't look as good as I think it could be. Also, it can't figure out how to adjust the character sizing.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Spacing & Sizing

Post by Erwin Denissen »

For Latin characters you should consider Optical Metrics, as explained here:
https://www.high-logic.com/font-editor/ ... al-metrics
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
AMIL-1848

Post by AMIL-1848 »

I see they're referring to the professional version of FontCreator, which I am currently not using. I'm working with the free version right now, unless the free version has a similar option?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In the Home Edition, you have to adjust the side-bearings for each glyph manually.

You probably don't need to adjust the size of the glyphs. On the Font Properties Panel, on the Masters Tab, click the Calculate buttons.

Font size is adjusted in applications that use those fonts. The designer just needs to ensure that the proportions are balanced, and that the weights of the strokes in each glyph are even.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

AMIL-1848 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:46 pm I see they're referring to the professional version of FontCreator, which I am currently not using. I'm working with the free version right now, unless the free version has a similar option?
The free trial has all features as available in the professional edition. Go to the main menu and select AutoMetrics from the Tools menu.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
AMIL-1848

Post by AMIL-1848 »

Alright, I found AutoMetrics. My spacing looks much better now. Thanks. Still having an issue with sizing the characters though. Don't see anything in the manual about just being able to resize my characters so my 12 point isn't so tiny.