Glyph making lags when lots of OpenType features - a way to temporarily turn them off?

Got a request? Post it here. Please do not post bug reports here.
MBear227

Glyph making lags when lots of OpenType features - a way to temporarily turn them off?

Post by MBear227 »

I'm working on a very large font with lots of OpenType coverage. However, because of this, working on glyphs in the edit window is extremely laggy. I have switched off all of the OpenType features in the Preview and OpenType Designer windows, but it still persists. I have cut down on some of the features--which is a problem because several glyphs are AutoAttach composites and require the OpenType to render properly--but while it speeds up a little bit, it still is lagging, and I don't want to have to cut too much as it may be a hassle to put back. Is there a way to temporarily turn off OpenType rendering in the font to speed up glyph editing, without actually deleting all the OpenType, and it can easily be turned back on later? Or otherwise speed up the glyph edit window?
MBear227

Re: Glyph making lags when lots of OpenType features - a way to temporarily turn them off?

Post by MBear227 »

Update I have tried completely clearing out the OpenType and there is still significant lag. Maybe it's the large glyph amount? Here is the file
Attachments
Cadexium.fcp
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 109 times
MBear227

Re: Glyph making lags when lots of OpenType features - a way to temporarily turn them off?

Post by MBear227 »

Just deleted several glyphs and it is a lot faster. However I believe I've worked on fonts with even more glyphs before and it wasn't as slow?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We do notice it too, but it is not easy to improve so I'm not sure if we are able to make it faster soon.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
MBear227

Post by MBear227 »

ah ok. in the meantime i may work on glyphs in a different file then copy them into the main one.
MBear227

Post by MBear227 »

any other tips on decreasing lag?
בן של מלך

Post by בן של מלך »

You can export the OpenType features, then remove them completely, format all the glyphs you want, and then import them back.