FontCreator Font Issue in Unity App

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Mia88

FontCreator Font Issue in Unity App

Post by Mia88 »

Hello,

I am new to creating fonts, so I apologize if any of this is not clear or if the information I submit is incomplete. We are creating an app using a customized font that I created with FontCreator. The font works perfectly in Microsoft Office apps, Acrobat and Inkscape, but there are issues when it is used in the app. I'd like to know if there any known issues using fonts created in FontCreator within Unity. The font is
Font Character Issue.png
Font Character Issue.png (871.59 KiB) Viewed 306 times
designed with symbols under some letters. In the app, regular letters appear without any issues. However, characters that have a symbol under them either revert to a different font or show a square.

I've attached an image showing a screenshot from the app with the incorrect characters, images of what the characters should look like as well as the unicode blocks and the character names. Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.
Erwin Denissen

Re: FontCreator Font Issue in Unity App

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We don't use Unity, so we can only reply on their documentation.

Did you follow this font assets part from their manual?
Unity has full unicode support.

To use unicode characters, choose either Unicode or Dynamic from the Characters drop-down in the Import Settings. You can now display unicode characters with this font. If you are using a Text Mesh, you can enter unicode characters into the Component’s Text field in the Inspector.

Note that surrogate pairs are not supported.
Also make sure the font is actually included through this property:
Include Font Data
This setting controls the packaging of the font when used with Dynamic font property. When selected the TTF is included in the output of the build. When not selected it is assumed that the end user will have the font already installed on their machine.
Also be ware if you only include a Regular font, but try to use the font with styling (e.g. Bold or Italic), then it will also fail and tries a fallback font.

From what I understand it is wise to set the Character property to Dynamic and check the Incl. Font Data property.

Let us know if this helps.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Mia88

Re: FontCreator Font Issue in Unity App

Post by Mia88 »

Thank you for your quick response. I will pass this on to our app developers and post an update when I hear back from them.