Maximum height for font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Bry

Maximum height for font

Post by Bry »

Hi.
I've looked in the help file and googled with no answer :-( I know I'm really new to font design, but I thought I'd be able to find the answer to what I feel I feel is a fairly simple question.
Is there a maximum height for a font character?
I've made one with a cap-height (in fact all the height fields - I am not making letters, I am making geometric shapes and they are all the same height, so things like Cap Height and x-ascender are irrelevent to me) of 2400 and it's chopped off in the font viewer page. 2000 seems to work.
I want the font to be quite large naturally as it's a geometric tool rather than letters.
Thanks
Erwin Denissen

Re: Maximum height for font

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I suggest to keep the top of your outlines below the upem value. If your outlines also go below the baseline then you might want to further reduce the top to ¾ upem. But best is to experiment and find a good setting for your specific font.

Some more information that might help:
https://www.high-logic.com/font-editor/ ... ne-spacing
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bry

Post by Bry »

Thanks for you answer, Erwin.
I think I didn't fully explain....
What I mean, is, does FontCreater itself have a maximum that it will display? If I make them higher than 2000, they get chopped off at the top in the viewer panel (where all the characters are together)
Thanks.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There is a range within the font specification that you should not exceed. It is expressed as the white area within a glyph panel. The top should not exceed 16K and the bottom should not go below -16K.

Note that there might be font renderers that cause problems even with lower values.

FontCreator uses the Win Ascent (and Win Descent) value as located on the Masters tab on the Font panel.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology