Fonts fail to install after shut down

Get help with MainType here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
zanzara

Fonts fail to install after shut down

Post by zanzara »

Hi, I am having a very annoying problem with the program. After installing, with having it copy to th ewindows font folder and without, fonts fail to install in my list. I can't use them until I go and re-install them. They are listing as Installed but not loaded and after install they read similar item istalled but work until my next restart. I work with a lot of files from different users in the office so having to reinstall and shut down my programs is getting really old. I am set up as an admin in all ways. Running XP pro with 2G RAM. Any help would be great. Guess maybe I should have waited on the puchase.
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Copy?

Post by Dave Crosby »

You "copied" fonts to the Windows Font File?

Make sure that the copied version is "outathere" before proceeding.

They must be Installed -"permanent," or Loaded -automatically unloaded when you turn your computer off.

I have long since trashed all my other font manager programs as this one left them in the dust.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Hi zanzara,

I assume Dave Crosby pointed you in the right direction. In case you still have problems, please let me know.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
zanzara

Post by zanzara »

I didn't copy the fonts there, I used the option in maintype to have it copy installed fonts to the windows font folder. Still no luck though. The ones installed before and after I had this option checked act the same. The ones installed with the copy option on list as similar font installed but it doesnt show up as active in my program. I have to go tell it to install or load them to use them. still trying to figure it out in my free time but if anyone has ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks for the help
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

zanzara wrote:The ones installed with the copy option on list as similar font installed but it doesnt show up as active in my program. I have to go tell it to install or load them to use them. still trying to figure it out in my free time but if anyone has ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks for the help
What program are you talking about? It looks like it doesn't synchronize its "list of active fonts" with Windows. MainType does notify all applications when fonts are made active or inactive. It is up to the receiving applications to wake up and do something with that notification.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Some older programs — e.g. Serif Page Plus 9 — are not aware that the font list has been updated. There is nothing MainType or any other font manager can do about that. You have to close the program down and restart it before the newly installed fonts will be recognised. Page Plus 9 still lists fonts that have been uninstalled until you restart it.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
henriquebeier

Post by henriquebeier »

I've been having the same problem here.
When I install a font it works fine until I restart my Windows. After that it shows up as "Installed but not loaded" on MainType's Browse tab. It doesn't show up on Active tab, though. Sure I can go and load the font again, but doing it after every single Windows restart is starting to bug me off.

I'm running MainType 2.1 trial on Windows Vista Business SP1, and I'm really considering buying the software, but first I need to know it works.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

MainType version 2.1.1 will solve the problem. You can download it from our download page:
http://www.high-logic.com/download.html
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
henriquebeier

Post by henriquebeier »

Thanks for the amazingly fast reply, Erwin!

I checked my version and I saw I actually already have the 2.1.1 version. I was looking on the main window title only, sorry.
And I'd like to update my issue. I just noticed the problem only occurs with Type1 fonts. TrueType fonts remain loaded after reboot, just nice.

Once again, thanks!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Somehow I always assume people are talking about OpenType and TrueType fonts. The fix in version 2.1.1 was not related to PostScript Type 1 fonts, I should have mentioned that.
henriquebeier wrote:I just noticed the problem only occurs with Type1 fonts. TrueType fonts remain loaded after reboot, just nice.
These post are all about issues with PostScript Type 1 fonts.
viewtopic.php?t=2023
viewtopic.php?t=2241

I hope they help, so do let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology