How to print a character map for dings

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
foggyideas

How to print a character map for dings

Post by foggyideas »

I'm sorry if this is a silly question...I am new to this.... Is there a way to produce a character map when creating dings, so people know what key on the keyboard to push to get the desired ding?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Perhaps the nearest directly from FontCreator is to right-click and set the caption to Macintosh mappings, then File, Print, Glyphs, All. That will produce a chart of the Wingdings with captions, but with codes instead of letters.

Most users are familiar iwth 65 = A up to 126 = ~

Or you can try using the PostScript name caption. That won't work with the Wingdings font, but will with A to ~ in Unicode symbol fonts.

Otherwise, make a table in Open Office or Word like this Font Template. This uses Unicode code-points, but it is easy enough to edit to replace the caption with alpha-numeric characters. Modify the glyph style to use your Wingding font.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Re: How to print a character map for dings

Post by Dave Crosby »

foggyideas wrote:I'm sorry if this is a silly question...I am new to this.... Is there a way to produce a character map when creating dings, so people know what key on the keyboard to push to get the desired ding?
Perhaps this is an Enhancement that should be added to MainType?
Aut nunc aut nunquam