Importing a font or object with no font creator filter?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
urbanhookupz

Importing a font or object with no font creator filter?

Post by urbanhookupz »

hello everyone....I have been using font creator 5.0 for a few years now.
I love the software..I have created many fonts that have helped me with my graphic design projects. But, I have ran into one problem that seems to bother me from time to time.

sometimes I will be working with a font letter or object in Adobe Illustrator. I have already fine tuned and filter traced the particular item using Illustrator software. Now the font or object I have filtered and fixed is in perfect condition and exactly how I would like it to appear. So now I am ready to import my item into Font creator.

The Question I am raising is this,"is there a way I can import items with having Font Creator re filter it?"

what is happening is I go from a perfectly traced item in Illustrator to a retraced item in Font Creator. Usually I play with the settings until I get I decent look, but, sometimes this problem effects my mint work ready for import.

I would like to directly import my font or object exactly how it is without
having to use Font Creators filters.

please can someone respond to this..I hope there is a way to do this that I do not know about. If not this would be a great updated feature to be able to disable Font Creators import filters when needed.

greatly appreciated, Urban Hook-Upz :lol:
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you're still using 5.0, upgrade to 5.6 (it is a free upgrade AFAIK).

What image format are you using? Try WMF. There is no AI import yet, but see this thread.

Adobe Illustrator uses postscript curves. FontCreator uses Truetype curves, so one will always need to use a filter AFAIK.

Why not draw your fonts in Font Creator? The tools are there to do the job. You may take a while to adjust to the different way of working, but it would surely be the best long-term solution to the problem.

If you're a graphic artist you might find this post interesting — it talks about the different types of curves. It is a bit beyond me as I am not an artist.

I have always done all my design work in FontCreator. If I trace a scanned image or screen grab in FontCreator it is just a preliminary stage in the design process. I do all the curve smoothing in FC with the drawing and alignment tools.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
William
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by William »

Cubic Bézier curves are mentioned in the following post, which is the one to which Bhikkhu Pesala links using the phrase "you might find this post interesting".

viewtopic.php?t=200

In relation to cubic Bézier curves, a program which appears to use them is Microsoft Paint. Microsoft Paint is bundled in with many (all?) versions of Windows.

Readers who might like to try experimenting with drawing using cubic Bézier curves using Microsoft Paint might find the following web article which I wrote in 2002 of interest.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/pai04000.htm

William Overington

16 September 2007