Easy mapping?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
elcelc

Easy mapping?

Post by elcelc »

I'm trying to add about 50 symbols to a font and am very confused by the mapping issue. I would love to be able to group them together in a way that the user would be able to remember them easier. For example: fractions would be inserted with Alt+0200 through Alt+0220, geometry symbols Alt+0250 through Alt+0260 etc. It looks like this is a backwards approach from the help files.

Is there a quick way to see what values are available? The hexadecimal part really throws me. Plus, it looks like there are ranges that I should stay away from.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Unicode standard code-points are designed to avoid confusion. If you map your fractions to áéíóú, etc, and a user types them in a document, then switches to another font, they will change to áéíóú. This is OK with a symbol font, but not such a good idea otherwise.

There are some fractions mapped to the Latin-1 Supplement range ¼ ½ ¾, the rest are mapped to the Number Forms range: you can find them most easily by using Insert Character. In the Unicode standard, code-points have only been assigned for 1/2 1/3 2/3 1/4 3/4 1/5 2/5 3/5 1/6 5/6 1/8 3/6/ 5/8 and 7/8. If you want others, say 1/64 then it might be better to make a symbol font.
Note: only the first 224 characters of symbol fonts will be accessible, a space and up to 223 printing characters.
From Tools, Options, you can change the default display of code-points from hex to decimal. It is much easier to understand for those of us with only ten fingers. :)
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
elcelc

Post by elcelc »

What I'm after is a font that will be used only in our office. It will need to be read in other offices but I would not anticipate them switching our documents to a different font. And honestly, in our business I can't see anyone missing their áéíó and ú.
Note: only the first 224 characters of symbol fonts will be accessible, a space and up to 223 printing characters.
From Tools, Options, you can change the default display of code-points from hex to decimal. It is much easier to understand for those of us with only ten fingers. :)
Yes! Thanks.