More off curve issues

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

More off curve issues

Post by Dick Pape »

Now that it's been mentioned, I too am having problems with off curve extremes. And I have the pictures to prove it:

The problem is an inconsistency in moving and reporting glyphs due to off curve points not being treated as part of a curve apparently.

This situation occurs on left side, right side or descender side (and probably ascender side also).

Setup:
a. Using Transform tool bar to move a glyph into position, such as 0,0.
b. Looking at Font Information there is a -1 Min Left Side bearing. Why?
c. Off curve point is -1...
Once it's seen the manual fix is trivial. Might there be a permanent fix in the offing? Dick
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There is a difference between the visual bounding box, and the bounding box that includes all points. Most of the time these are equal, but not when your glyph has global off-curve extreme coordinates.

That said, it seems you've encountered a rounding issue. I would really like to look into your example, so please send me the font file and instructions on how to reproduce it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Not Rounding, No Font File

Post by Dick Pape »

Hi Erwin

It's not unique to this font. I tried a quick test and same problem showed up.

Setup: Align a glyph to x=0. Add one off curve point at the left side of the glyph and drag it left (distance doesn't matter). Realign glyph back to x=0 and the off curve point will be -something. (One I'm playing with is -43).

Glyph as a whole is aligned x=0 but the point is not. X Minimum will be -something.
-----
There is a difference between the visual bounding box, and the bounding box that includes all points.
I don't know. This off curve point is never included within a box afaics.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This is how it's supposed to be. I thought your point was related to rounding errors. I didn't write the specs, but I can add more Font Information, e.g. visual X min, etc.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology